Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

sigma 150-500mm nikon fit

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    maggie9
    maggie9  545 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2012 - 8:08 PM

hi there,

apologies if this has already been covered somewhere else,

i've just spent a long time researching and saving for the 'above' to fit on to my nikon D90
    and after having it a week im losing faith and feeling my money was ill spent Sad

i've found the focus not that great hand held (comparing it with my nikon 70-300mm VR) which is nearly always used hand held.

has anybody else found this? or im i missing a vital instruction to its use? or is it just a bit slow (or indeed im i just a bit slower.........)
    pm me if you'd rather

(worried) Maggie

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Apr 2012 - 8:08 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cheesecake2008
    28 Apr 2012 - 8:55 PM

Hi there,

My job is selling cameras and equipment. This is a lens that has always caused a few issues. Because it covers such a huge range the sharpness is compromised. The 150-500 is the cheaper way of getting a 500mm lens. It gives you the flexibility but like I say something has to be compromised and unfortunately it is the sharpness. For optimum sharpness the best lens would be a prime. I know it is a lot more expense but really it is going to be the only thing that will give you the best sharpness at that sort of range.

Hope that helps.

snapbandit
    snapbandit  102205 forum posts Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2012 - 9:00 PM

I find that the focus on the Sigma is slower than my 70-300 VR (& unless the light is bright/sunny it looks to me like the images from the Nikon have the edge in sharpness, contrast & colours, it just does not have the same reach)
    I don't know that it being hand held would affect the focus though? (very likely to affect sharpness through camera shake as it's a heavy brute).
    Must admit I regret getting the Sigma as I have only used it two or three times & find I prefer the Nik 300 f4 with 1,7x converter images for the 500mm end & have all the other lengths covered with other (better) lenses. it's not a bad lens but I find it needs bright conditions to get the best from it.

Just my 2p

Joe B

NEWMANP
    NEWMANP e2 Member 61587 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2012 - 9:23 PM

ive had my sigma 18 months or so, and there is no doubt about it, the 70-300 vr nikkor is better all round but it dosnt have the reach,

the 150-500 sigma is a hard tool to learn, it needs serious speed to avoid shake ( which is often mistaken for lack of sharpness) and to be fair 300 and 500 are different as chalk and cheese in terms of depth of field which is the other issue. i find that i start to feel happy around f10 and over a 1/1000 sec. at f8 im sometimes happy but never wider than that.

focus was a problem and they recalled many that wouldnt return once outfocused and i have always found it slow to lock on to a subject but once it has its fine. the sucess ratio is often lower than my other lenses and other than pay 6000 i dont see how we can compare with a prime.

a friend has just aquired a 300mm f4 and a converter and that looks a good option.
    Phil

snapbandit
    snapbandit  102205 forum posts Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2012 - 9:34 PM

Sorry just to clarify, the Nik 300 f4 with 1.7x converter is use is the Nikon 300mm AF-s prime lens, (not the 70-300 VR as it's f5.6 @ 300mm end).

Joe B

NEWMANP
    NEWMANP e2 Member 61587 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Apr 2012 - 9:38 PM

yes and to further clarify, its not possible to use a converter on the nikkor 70-300 vr zoom
    Phil

brrttpaul
    brrttpaul  3203 forum posts United Kingdom
    28 Apr 2012 - 9:40 PM

Wink ty

MikeRC
    MikeRC e2 Member 93505 forum postsMikeRC vcard United Kingdom
    28 Apr 2012 - 9:42 PM

Quote: a friend has just aquired a 300mm f4 and a converter and that looks a good option.

....one of these for sale in the classifieds.

NEWMANP
    28 Apr 2012 - 9:46 PM

and thats where my chum bought his 300 from and it was cheap as chips, he will be selingl his 70-300vr and still have change
    Phil

maggie9
    29 Apr 2012 - 5:20 PM

thanks for all this
    thats fine about the 300mm
    i knew the 70-300mm VR didn't support a teleconverter

thanks again for the replies much appreciated

maggie

greggan
    greggan  7
    7 May 2012 - 12:01 AM

My opinion.Grin
    If you looking for a 500mm reach zoom lens at a reasonable prize then there isn't much of a competition for the Sigma 150-500 OS!
    At 500mm you will need to use a bit of technique and practice to get sharp pictures especially if you haven't been using optically stabilized
    lenses before (Half-press the shutter button, wait a while until stabilized and shoot a series of 3 or more to be able to pick the sharpest one afterwards).
    This is because of the fact that OS/VR/IS or whatever does fail sometimes and more often if you don't use it properly.

The Sigma 150-500mm OS isn't the sharpest knife in the PRO lens drawer but or many people it will be the best option.
    Properly used you will be able to catch many useable pics with this lens that you wouldn't be able to get with a shorter lens.

Some image samples and a full review can be found here:http://www.stockholmviews.com/sigma_150-500_os/index.html
    fox-1-.jpg
    Sigma 150-500mm @ 500mm F8 shuterspeed 1/500 iso 100

maggie9
    7 May 2012 - 7:14 AM

thanks so much for the info and advice and i have taken heart at all the replies

i was out again the other week and just sat on the beach and tried different settings for a few hours, mostly hand held, or lying flat on the sand with it balanced on top of my hand
    i have to say, and this sounds really pathetic, i had really sore shoulders the next day!!

i like a challenge, so im going to enjoy getting the best out of this lens Smile

all very encouraging thanks again

maggie

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.