Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sigma 150 macro + 1.4x

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    fishiee
    fishiee  10457 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Mar 2007 - 12:41 AM

Hi,

Has anyone tried this combination at all with Canon, Sigma or any other 1.4x?

The website states that with the sigma 1.4x it will only autofocus down to 52cm with the Sigma 1.4x. Just wondering if other T/C's or any other tricks will allow AF right down to minimum focus distance?

I am considering getting a 1.4x as I move to camera with a bigger sensor. I also have the canon 100-400, so the canon 1.4x would be nice for that, if it works ok with the sigma 150. I understand that the canon 1.4x would need a small extension tube between it and the lens due to the protruding element. This is no major deal if the setup works acceptably.

THanks in advance for any info Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Mar 2007 - 12:41 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

wild_bill
    wild_bill  7
    22 Mar 2007 - 2:07 AM

Hi. I ordered the Sigma 150 Macro for Nikon last week. It should be here tomorrow. But that's strange that the website states that. With every lens I've used a teleconverter on, the minimum focus distance stayed the same. If the lens focuses down to 38cm, then it should still be 38cm with the TC. When I get the lens, I'll try it with my Kenko 1.4X and let you know. That lens did really good in the tests by Photozone. Resolution is really high, CAs(chromatic abberations)are very low, and distortion is virtually none. And a few people on the Nikonians web site own it and have nothing but good things to say about it. If you don't have this lens and are looking for a macro, I'd buy this one. Check out the lab test.

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_150_28_nikon/index.htm

IanA
    IanA  103048 forum posts England12 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Mar 2007 - 8:07 AM

Just tried the combo (Sigma converter) on a Nikon and there seems no way it will AF closer than stated. It happily focusses manually down to 38cm though.

HIH

Ian

fishiee
    22 Mar 2007 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for the responses. I was hoping that maybe someone had discovered a way top get around it. Ah well I guess I'll have to learn to manual focus then though looking at my shots if the exif data is accurate I am not often much closer than 52cm to fill the frame with my subject anyway!

So the question is now do I go with the canon which would probably give best results on my 100-400 (and maybe in a few years time a big prime!) or the sigma which is probably best suited to my macro. Or is the quality fo the Kenko good enough for both?

IanA
    IanA  103048 forum posts England12 Constructive Critique Points
    22 Mar 2007 - 12:47 PM

Kenko Pro are pretty good, otherwise go for the Canon! Wink)

Ian

fishiee
    22 Mar 2007 - 1:11 PM

do you know offhand if they have the protruding element like the canon that means for some lenses you have to use an extension tube?

wild_bill
    wild_bill  7
    23 Mar 2007 - 12:26 AM

I'm sorry there's been a misunderstanding. You said it wouldn't AF closer than 52cm. I thought you meant it would not focus at all closer than 52cm. I get it now. Well, the lens came today. I tried the Kenko 1.4X on it. The AF tries to work, but it malfunctions with the teleconverter, even at farther distances. I guess one should get the Sigma teleconverter to use with that lens. By the way, the lens is sweet! I was in the yard shooting some small flowers.

fishiee
    23 Mar 2007 - 8:28 AM

Ok thanks Bill. Maybe I'll get the sigma then.

I know the lens is a stunner. I've had mine 2 years and don't think anything else out there can beat it!

cambirder
    cambirder  107202 forum posts England
    23 Mar 2007 - 11:13 AM

I bought one off ebay with the 1.4 converter included. Not really used it in anger yet, just waiting for the dragonflies to start to emerge.

Just tried it out with the converter on both my 1D Mk2 and 5D.

It will AF closer than 52cm, but it wont do it all the time at 38cm you have no chance. To me this does not matter as MF is still king for macro work.

Don't let it put you off getting one because if you are keen on macro work you really should master MF anyway, and also the prime reason for using one is to get a bit more distance from your subject in which case you are likely to be more than 52cm from your subject anyway.

I do have a Canon 1.4 converter as well, but it wont fit the Sigma lens so don't even try with that one.

fishiee
    23 Mar 2007 - 11:11 PM

hehe everyone tells me manual for macro but I don't often find that autofocus fails me with the 150. Occasionally I will use if if I want the point of focus off one of the focus points but otherwise generally it's fine.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.