Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sigma 17-70

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    desbarnio
    desbarnio  3 Scotland
    8 Mar 2013 - 12:15 PM

Hi
    Would this be worth buying as its the older model of Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro, Canon EF Fit used at 164 or would I be better with the new OS HSM model at 289

Any help would be great from sigma users

Thanks

Craig

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    8 Mar 2013 - 12:15 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Nigeyboy
    Nigeyboy  6536 forum posts United Kingdom
    8 Mar 2013 - 12:44 PM

I use the old, non OS version and have to say I'm very pleased with it. Got it 2nd hand from Mifsuds a few years ago for about 170 I think.

The IQ is very good across the view on my 400D. The focus is quick, but a little 'buzzy'. The 'macro' on it, while not a true macro is good for getting in on things like flowers and insects - though you do need to get in quite close to your subject. The 17-70 range pretty much overs all the bases i use it for - from landscapes to portraits of the family. Nearly all my shots in my PF are with this lens.

For 164 quid it will be better than any kit lens!

Metalhead
    Metalhead  61864 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    8 Mar 2013 - 12:51 PM

Hi Craig,
    I've got the 400D with the original Sigma 17-70 which stays on as my main "walkabout" lens. It's a very versatile lens and has a super close focus range (about 20cm from the sensor). This means you can still focus on an object that is virtually touching the front glass, even at the 70mm end! I'm pretty sure the newer OS version has similar specs too. If you click into my portfolio pretty much all of the first current page are taken with the 400D and Sigma 17-70.

Do you use any other lenses with image stabilisation? Personally none of my lenses have OS, or IS, so I can't comment on whether paying the extra for the newer version with stabilisation is worth the extra money, but as a basic lens with a versatile range and focus ability I would say the basic 17-70 is a good choice. If you want/need/use OS then maybe consider the extra money for the new one.

There was another thread on here from a couple of years back that I commented in which highlighted the main differences in specs between the non-OS and the newer OS version... somewhere.

Here they are:
    Here and Here

Hope that helps.

Last Modified By Metalhead at 8 Mar 2013 - 12:56 PM
    desbarnio
    desbarnio  3 Scotland
    8 Mar 2013 - 1:26 PM

Thanks for the comments guys, I have the 450d currently using kit lens 18-55 is and 70-300, think based on the comments here and for 164 , the 17-70mm would be a good buy.
    Thanks again to you both for your comments.

Craig

chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 7240 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    8 Mar 2013 - 3:13 PM

I have the newer OS version and have been very pleased with it, by all accounts whichever one you choose you will be happy with. From reading various comments over time about Sigma lenses, you tend to get mixed reports on quality, so I would recommend trying the actual lens before you buy, having said that I have 3 Sigma lenses all which are spot on, also all new Sigma lenses come with a 3 year warranty. This added to the OS would make me go for the OS version, as others have said wide open images can sometimes be a little soft, so the OS can buy a little flexibility to stop down.

steve_p
    steve_p  81090 forum posts England
    8 Mar 2013 - 7:21 PM

I have owned both versions. There isn't anything in it as far as I can remember. The OS can be useful but I haven't really had need for it. Whichever you choose you will be happy I'm sure. I would still have the last one(OS) had it not been for the fact I was offered a Canon 15-85 at a good price.

desbarnio
    desbarnio  3 Scotland
    8 Mar 2013 - 11:37 PM

Just my luck after looking at buying a new lens for a while now, after buying it they emailed to tell me the lens was a nikon fit.
    Back on Internet tomorrow to search again

Cheers

Metalhead
    Metalhead  61864 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Mar 2013 - 1:02 PM

At least you've got some good responses about the Sigma 17-70. Just had a check on Mifsuds website, they don't have the Sigma 17-70 in Canon fit but they have a Canon 17-85 IS USM at 199. Slightly longer range and with IS, says it's in excellent condition - maybe another one to consider?

desbarnio
    desbarnio  3 Scotland
    27 Mar 2013 - 8:45 PM

Magic-managed to pick up the Sigma 17-70 second hand for 134 from MPB, will try it out over the Easter weekend

Des

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.