Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro, Canon EF Fit

7 Oct 2012 4:02PM
Hi
Will this lens fit my Canon 450d okay and also its for sale with mpbphotographic.com for 150 second hand is this a good deal and has anyone used them before.
Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

7 Oct 2012 4:06PM
Yes.
searp e2
3 4 England
7 Oct 2012 8:43PM
Yes
It will fit and is a great lens, I have seen some reviews which say its great and others that say its not, so I guess the quality can vary.
steve_p e2
9 1.1k England
7 Oct 2012 10:26PM
It is a small problem with Sigma lenses in that their QC is a bit variable. Having said that I haven't had a problem with any of their lenses I have used.
I can recommend MPB. I've used them several times and found their service and goods excellent.
8 Oct 2012 9:13PM
Thanks guys , turns out MPB advertised it as non OS and when I queried it they had made a mistake, it was the up to date model taking the price to 254 with only 6 months warranty, so might just buy a new one for an extra 30 pounds, just want a newish lens to replace my kit lens 18-55
User_Removed 3 112 Wales
9 Oct 2012 11:06AM
As above Sigma's QC can be a bit hit and miss - I had a brand new Sigma 18-125 OS on a 400D sometime ago and after every 10 or so shots, I got error 99 and the camera wouldn't work, the OS also kept buzzing even when I switched it off. When I queried it with Sigma Rep, he admitted it was a faulty lens but then of course this could happen with any lens make. Their EX glass is better = to L glass or so they say! You can pick up a reasonable 17-40 L if you know where to look - not as fast but better IQ IMO
steve_p e2
9 1.1k England
9 Oct 2012 4:41PM
The only negative side I found with the 17-40L was that the focal length at the telephoto end was too short!
If your budget is around the 300 mark, personally I would go for the Sigma. If you buy it over the counter, should you get a "duff" one you ought to be able to get an immediate exchange.
Mike_Smith e2
7 212 1 United Kingdom
10 Oct 2012 10:50PM
I have this lens its a cracker i use it for portraits and landscapes, if you look in my portfolio the last lot of landscapes were all taken with it. Also i got the 3 year warranty from sigma for free. Think i have had it almost a year now at the time it was around 320but buy it new to get the warranty
11 Oct 2012 9:32PM
Thanks guys for the advice will keep shopping around sure to get one soon

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.