Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    olbell
    olbell  647 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    11 May 2010 - 12:59 PM

Has anybody got this new lens? I understand it is an upgrade to the previous model, now with an optical stabiliser.

I have a Sony A100 and want to replace the kit lens for something better. Thought the 17-70mm would be a good day to day lens?

Your thoughts please!

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    11 May 2010 - 12:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JohnParminter
    11 May 2010 - 4:47 PM

I would suggest it will be a good day to day lens Ollie, I don't have this one but the previous version and use it 75% of my images and is the lens I have on my camera as default.
    If the optics are similar then it will be a worthwhile improvement for the silent motor and OS.
    JP

loweswood
    loweswood  9317 forum posts England
    14 May 2010 - 12:01 AM

I've had the earlier version on my pentax and can truly recommend it. the I Q is excellent and the macro will amaze you. It's a great default lens to carry around particularly as it'e down to 17mm

Paintman
    Paintman e2 Member 7845 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom173 Constructive Critique Points
    14 May 2010 - 7:17 AM

This is a review of the lens

Metalhead
    Metalhead  61866 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    14 May 2010 - 1:19 PM

I posted this a while back on another forum topic about the Sigma 17-70...

The closest focus distance has changed from 20cm to 22cm for the new one, plus the max magnification of the old one was 1:2.3 while this has dropped to 1:2.7 Probably nothing to worry about though.

On the plus side, the max aperture at 70mm has increased to f/4 from f/4.5 on the non-OS version.

In case you were wondering how the aperture varies with focal length, I found this on another website:

17-20mm f/2.8
    21-24mm f/3.2
    25-34mm f/3.5
    35-54mm f/4.0
    55-70mm f/4.5

With the max aperture increasing at 70mm on the new lens, this info might be slightly incorrect but it gives you an idea how the original lens changed over focal length.

It was to highlight some of the subtle changes from the previous non-OS model.

I've got the older model on a Canon 400D and I think it's superb. I can only guess the added stabilisation makes it even better.

Chris

Boofy
    Boofy  6 United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    31 May 2010 - 9:04 PM

Bought this lens about 2 months ago to go on my 40D and I think it's brilliant.
    Much better than the standard kit lenses you get and the 2.8 comes in handy as well as the OS.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.