Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sigma 170-500mm lens or a 2x converter on my Canon 90-300mm

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    redstag
    redstag e2 Member 8100 forum postsredstag vcard United Kingdom14 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jul 2007 - 10:04 AM

I am considering buying a new long lens but I'm not sure if my money would be better spent on a 2x converter. I have very little experience of converters and their effect on quality, so any pointers would be gratefully received.
    I am considering the Sigma 170-500mm lens, again anyone got one? Any views.
    They will be going on my EOS 300D.

Thanks for the help.
    Jon

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    1 Jul 2007 - 10:04 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ZenTog
    ZenTog  127875 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jul 2007 - 10:08 AM

the 2x convertor doesnt work very well on any of the normal canon range and thats the L convertor, which often doesnt fit the siggie zooms
    it slows or stops auto focus completly , it degrades image quality as well.
    if you need a big lens the only way to do it is buy a big lens, the 1.4 convertor works fairly well accross the range with out degrading image quality that much.
    the sgima 50-500 is a lens that has a following by people who can afford the big canon primes, have you thought about one of the cheaper cnaon primes and adding a 1.4 convertor when the light is good enough

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    justin c
    justin c  104537 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jul 2007 - 10:23 AM

Quote: I am considering buying a new long lens but I'm not sure if my money would be better spent on a 2x converter

A dedicated long lens will always be a much,much better option than a 2X convertor,particularly if planning to use it on a zoom lens,which is far from ideal.

Disadvantages of course are much greater expense and heavier weight.

Justin.

strawman
    strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Jul 2007 - 2:55 PM

I have the sigma lens you mention. It works quite well, but I find you need to tripod mount it for decent results at the long end, plus using a remote shutter release also helps . focusing is critical and I often manual focus it at the long end for wildlife. Its focusing tends to be slow so manual focus is best.

Far better than a 2x converter.

dickiedriver
    1 Jul 2007 - 3:03 PM

I agree with strawman I use this lens on a nikon d80 and almost always use manual focus when doing wildlife, but if the light is good then the autofocus works well enough.

Richard

redstag
    redstag e2 Member 8100 forum postsredstag vcard United Kingdom14 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jul 2007 - 9:52 PM

Thanks all, I've now purchased the lens, a bit of a tip, my local Jessops had it in store, but it was very expensive. So shopped around a bit, Jacobs had it for 50 less, but alas no stock, went back to Jessops, yes they price match but only if the other store has stock (d'oh). Why not try online the assistant suggested, so armed with a discount code retrieved from the internet (Sale20 if you are interested) I got the lens for the lower internet price with a further promotional 20 off!!!! Bargain.
    Now all I need is some talent a decent subject to shoot! LOL
    Thanks for all the advice.
    Jon

strawman
    strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jul 2007 - 10:07 PM

Good luck and enjoy yourself.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.