Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 APO HSM MK11

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    McKenzie
    McKenzie  8 United Kingdom
    20 Apr 2008 - 8:28 AM

Hi, Does anyone use the Sigma 50-150mm MK11, I am considering the purchase of this lens and would be very interested in hearing about users views on this one.
    This lens would be used as a walkabout/portrait and indoor sports lens and would be used on a Nikon D300.

Regards
    Steve

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    20 Apr 2008 - 8:28 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

IanA
    IanA  103048 forum posts England12 Constructive Critique Points
    20 Apr 2008 - 10:18 AM

I use one on my D200/300 and it is excellent. The AF is lightning!

Ian Smile

domhenry
    domhenry  7111 forum posts England
    22 Apr 2008 - 4:30 PM

I have the Mk1 version on my 40d for events, it rocks! Great AF and very sharp, same quality as the Sigma 70-200 but about a third lighter. Goes very well with a crop zoom such as the 17-55 2.8

Well worth the cash.

McKenzie
    22 Apr 2008 - 8:44 PM

Many thanks for the feedback Ian and Domhenry!
    It's nice to get some users thoughts on this lens.
    Regards
    Steve

flyingseale
    22 Apr 2008 - 11:59 PM

I asked a question about the mk2 a while back and what is apparent is that this lens does not sell in great numbers. For me it is too close to the price of the 70-200 f/2.8 from Sigma and the extra 33% reach would be a real bonus. However, I borrowed my father's 70-200 lest week and it is a real lump to carry around all day. It made me think that the 50-150 might be a good idea after all...or save even more money and get the Nikon 70-300 VR. I know it's only f/5.6 at the long end but perhaps a more useable lens?
    But if you can find a mk1 in a local shop you could save 100 and then it's a much better proposition.

Mike

FatHandedChap
    23 Apr 2008 - 8:04 AM

I've seen new Mk1's going for 350 which is quite a difference from Mk2's. I'm looking at getting one for the studio for chasing children. I currently use a 24-70 which is a little too short at times. If I got a 70-200 then I would have to spend too much time swapping lenses, so the 50-150 is a great focal length for this. Glad to hear good reviews about it.

McKenzie
    23 Apr 2008 - 9:12 AM

Thanks for the feedback....I think the F2.8 right through the zoom range has got to be a bonus and with it also being quite light it does seem a good all round lens, if a 1.4 or 2 x converter was used it would open up even more possibilities ( not that I need that as I have that covered by other lenses).
    The Nikon 70-210 would be nice, but it's twice the price and maybe not as nice to use for portrait work, where the 50-150 is supposed to excel , also maybe not so nice to lug around all day and use hand held.

It looks like my bank balance is about to shrink!

McKenzie
    1 May 2008 - 9:05 AM

Just a quick update....I have just taken delivery of a new Sigma 50-150mm HSM 11 ...first impressons are very good...!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.