Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sigma 50-500mm on a Nikon teleconverter

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    EddyG
    EddyG  3 Scotland
    9 Jun 2011 - 11:32 PM

Folks,

Has anyone tried the sigma 50-500 -APO lens with the Nikon Nikon TC-17E II AF-S Teleconverter?
    I bought this converter a few months ago and was really disappionted to find out only after buying the thing that it only couples up with certain lenses, so I was gutted when it wouldn't even connect with my Nikon 70-300.
    I do have the Nikon 70-200mm AF-S Nikkor f2.8G ED VR II Lens and it works great with this lens.

Anyway, please before I go shelling out any more hard earned - can someone pass on words of wisdom on the Sigma 50-500.

Thanks and regards,

Eddy G

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    9 Jun 2011 - 11:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman
    strawman  1021997 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    9 Jun 2011 - 11:38 PM

The Sigma 50-500 is a good lens at its price point but as you have noticed a teleconverter takes any issues with lens softness etc and magnifies them so it would be a no in my eyes (not tried it on a Nikon and not slagging the lens off). so with top notch lenses it will work a treat, the excellent nikon primes Sigmas 100-300 f2.8 etc. Also you loose some light in the process and the sigma must be close to the aperture value at which your AF no longer works, so expect problems there.

A 500mm lens is already a long one, do you need longer??

EddyG
    EddyG  3 Scotland
    9 Jun 2011 - 11:52 PM

Thanks for the rapid response Strawman and good words of wisdom also.

Do I really need the extra if only the dam converter worked with the 70-300 then probably not.I was up at the Argaty red kite site a few weeks back and struggled with dsitance on the 70-200 plus converter - roughly 400mm.

The 500 on it's own may just reach - but shame to drive all the way up there and come back nothing for lack of reach again.
    I may even consider a sigma EX DG converter - but I feel my purchase of the Nikon converter was a total waste.

Cheers the words of wisdom any way Smile

Eddy G

snapbandit
    snapbandit  102205 forum posts Northern Ireland3 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Jun 2011 - 12:02 AM

I don't know if this helps, but I have the Sigma 150-500 and the TC-17EII AF-S, and it will not go on to the lens (didn't think it would but just checked to confirm) so I would doubt if it would fit on the 50-500, the TC works great with the 70-200 f2.8 and the 300 f4, on the 300 it gives as good or possibly better IQ IMHO than the 150-500 on it's own.

The Sigma gives pretty good results with the right light (enough to stop it down at least 1 stop from wide open, whereas the 300 f4 AF-S nikkor still gives at least as good wide open with TC fitted, just less versatile being a fixed length.)

HTH & My 2p

Joe B

Graysta
    Graysta  91131 forum posts England
    10 Jun 2011 - 7:23 AM

I use a Kenko 2x with my bigma, you have to manual focus but exposure works fine. As Strawman says edges do suffer a bit but it works, and the Kenko converters are cheaper than Nikon ones i'm not saying there insn't a reason for that but it works and i've been happy with it for about 6 years now.

Graham

P.S. you have to limit the wide end to 100mm or risk knocking the back glasses together

Last Modified By Graysta at 10 Jun 2011 - 7:26 AM
    User_Removed
    12 Jun 2011 - 12:18 AM

For the red kites at Argaty, I would recommend using your 150-500mm without any converter and then crop the image to fill the frame. Generally speaking, within reasonable limits, you will get better quality images by cropping than by mis-matching lenses and teleconverters that were not specifically designed for eachother.

The other huge advantage at Argaty is that, shooting from the hide, you are often contorted and trying to frame the bird in the viewfinder is hard enough at 500mm and would be much more difficult at 500x1.7.

Remember to set exposure compensation at about +1.66 depending upon sky conditions.

LenShepherd
    LenShepherd e2 Member 62425 forum postsLenShepherd vcard United Kingdom
    14 Jun 2011 - 8:46 AM

The Nikon TC14e will not fit.
    The Kenko Pro 300 1.4 x should.
    Nikon will AF static subjects at effective f8 in good light, but focus tracking is, at best, slow at f8.
    If the 150-500 is f6.3 at the long end with the Kenko you are smaller than f8 - and unlikely to get AF.

EddyG
    EddyG  3 Scotland
    14 Jun 2011 - 9:49 AM

Thanks for all the help folks and I went Strawman on this one -- why bother with a teleconverter on 500mm.
    I have since purchased the 50-500mm Sigma APO as I can't afford anything in the Nikon range - crazy money for amateur.
    Once I receive and get chance to play with I let you how I get on.

Thanks and all the best
    Eddy G

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.