Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Sigma 70 - 300mm F4-5.6 DG Macro has stopped working in AF mode

Derfal 5 8 Jersey
13 Sep 2012 9:05PM
Hi,
My Sigma lens has stopped working in AF mode. When i push shutter button nothing happens. Any Suggestions.
i have checked that the AF switch is on on the lens and that the camera is not in Manual mode. I have read that these lenses are prone to motor burnout.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

13 Sep 2012 9:13PM
cats_123 e2
10 4.2k 25 Northern Ireland
13 Sep 2012 9:22PM
have you checked another lens? does that work? is your battery fully charged?
Derfal 5 8 Jersey
13 Sep 2012 9:30PM
Thanks Umberto
I have sent an email to sigma
Derfal 5 8 Jersey
13 Sep 2012 9:34PM
The first thing i did after checking my settings was to change my battery even though the battery in it was fully charged as i was all set to take loads of photos of the Jersey Battle Of Britain Air Display. Ended up not taking any as faffing about trying to fathom out problem. Good job we had a view from home and not had to pay
Willpower 3 219 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2012 11:13PM
As Umberto has already linked you to my experience, all I will say is I think you will probably find Sigma to be sympathetic.

How old is the lens ? If it is out of warranty then you can see their fixed tariff for repairs HERE I think your lens will come under Tariff 4

Good luck, you should get a reply from Sigma in your mail tomorrow.
What camera is it? Some cameras have AF/MF switches on bodies & lenses. Check them first, may have been caught!

I don't mean to sound patronising but the most common solution is the easiest one!
Willpower 3 219 United Kingdom
14 Sep 2012 11:06PM

Quote:What camera is it? Some cameras have AF/MF switches on bodies & lenses. Check them first, may have been caught!

I don't mean to sound patronising but the most common solution is the easiest one!

Quote:Hi,
......................... i have checked that the AF switch is on on the lens and that the camera is not in Manual mode.

I think he had already checked that.
Derfal 5 8 Jersey
16 Sep 2012 8:00PM
Hi Guys,
Sigma have been back in touch.
Unfortunately I got the Lens back end of 2009

They sent me address to send to. Just need to package up and send back

Thanks for all your help

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.