Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

sigma 70-300mm dg f4-5.6

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    19mart71
    19mart71  6 United Kingdom
    7 May 2011 - 4:58 PM

I got one of these on ebay for 80, it seemed a good deal at the time with case, filter caps and barely used.

However after 6 weeks the autofocus packed up. It makes a horrible noise. I guess the autofocus has stripped the gears.

Doing a bit of research on the internet, it appears that this is not uncommon, especially on the older models. Beware.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 May 2011 - 4:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123
    cats_123 e2 Member 103995 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
    7 May 2011 - 5:22 PM

touchwood, mine has served me well for a couple of years so far

gazbart
    gazbart  3 United Kingdom
    8 May 2011 - 1:58 PM

I got one of these for 30 knowing the autofocus wasnt working,Took it apart found the problem was the teeth on the outer focusing ring,about three or four had sort of rounded off,i used a small flat screwdriver to flatten them off again.It spends alot of time on my camera and has been okay since,I called sigma about a new part they were shocked that id actually took it apart and knew what the fault was. Iwas told to call back on the following monday because the spares man wasnt in,but i never bothered as it has been okay

ptaloblue
    ptaloblue  2 South Africa
    23 Feb 2012 - 7:29 AM

I recently joined this site on my quest trying to find out why my Sigma 70 -300 has been acting up, like you describe, for a third time. I was convinced that it was because of something I did 'wrong', but it seems to have this inherent problem.
    This model was purchased a little bit more than a year ago from a reputable firm.
    Perhaps Gazbart has the answer ..!
    The only up-side to this problem is that the lens carries a three year guarantee, and I have another two years left!

Broken
    Broken  3 England
    25 Jan 2013 - 10:10 AM

Yikes! I have had one for a year and love it, but I'm worried about what you're all saying. I got mine on Amazon and fingers x'd it'll be OK, as I am a Sigma fan.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.