Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sigma 8-16mm ultra wide-angle heaven.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Paintman
    Paintman e2 Member 7848 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom173 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Apr 2010 - 7:07 PM

Does anyone have one of these and is it better than the Sigma 10-20mm? Are there any any reviews yet?

Sigma 8-16mm

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    21 Apr 2010 - 7:07 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

steve_kershaw
    21 Apr 2010 - 7:53 PM

I have the sigma 8mm and the perspective distortion is way too much to consider using it to produce a normal image (I use mine for 360 panos) you are pushing the limits at 10mm (on a cropped ) if on the rare occasion you need a wider angle you will be much better stitching together 2/3/4 shots at a more forgiving focal length

geoffrey baker
    geoffrey baker e2 Member 10496 forum postsgeoffrey baker vcard Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Apr 2010 - 8:10 PM

It looks good on paper but my only concern is whether it will be usable at the 8mm end with some filter systems, due to vignetting.
    I use Cokin X-Pro so I should be safe, but the smaller lee filters for example may struggle a bit, it will be interesting to find out for sure.
    There are times when my 10-20 is still not wide enough believe it or not lol.
    Geoff.

steve_kershaw
    21 Apr 2010 - 8:19 PM

none of your filters are going to touch the 8mm end,

this is 8mm on a 40D
    on my 5dmk2 its a complete circle representing 180o

morricio-165-6-7enhancer.jpg

Paintman
    Paintman e2 Member 7848 forum postsPaintman vcard United Kingdom173 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Apr 2010 - 9:12 PM

I didn't realise the distortion would be so high. I thought it was corrected like the 10-20mm. Have you used the warp tool ( or transform tool ) to correct the distortion? What was the result like if you did do it?

I think the two photo and stitch method is probably best for me and it would save a bit of cash tooSmile

steve_kershaw
    21 Apr 2010 - 9:30 PM

this is the 8mm lens not the zoom, they will probably get rid of the corners on the dedicated zoom, but at 8mm you will stil get the distortion, you can correct the distortion but loose a proportion of the image, as always its a trade off,
    also the wider you go the bigger the near to far perspective alters, so things in the distance seam much smaller, for me this kills landscape photography, even at 10-12mm this can be very disproportional, at 8mm its just silly

JohnParminter
    22 Apr 2010 - 7:29 AM

I personally won't be interested in the 8-16mm lens for landscapes, too limited in appeal for me. 10mm is more than sufficient for my needs, in fact my 17-70mm lens is my prefered choice these days. It may appeal to the architectural folks though more than landscapers?

Garr8
    Garr8  3
    17 Jul 2011 - 8:05 PM

I know this is an old thread but I thought i'd add my tuppence worth:

I have the 8-16mm on order and feel owners of this lens may be interested in the following; so check this out:

video re: fitting filters to the Sigma 8-16mm lens and then read this to find out how to modify a spare lens cap (that you can purchase from Sigma) to enable the use of filters. Smile

Overread
    Overread  63746 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Jul 2011 - 11:20 AM

Just a point but the Sigma 8mm lens mentioned above is nothing like the 8-16mm since the 8mm prime is a fisheye lens - its supposed to have the distortion effect because its a fish eye lens. The 8mm, whilst having some distortion is nothing like as extreme - furthermore it has no corner vignetting on crop sensor (maybe a tiny hair of it but nothing beyond a tiny correction in editing)

greggan
    greggan  7
    7 May 2012 - 12:08 AM

More about filters for the Sigma 8-16mm lens can be found here:Sigma 8-16mm filter adapter options, DIY and commercial.
    cokin-x-pro-and-sigma-8-16mm-1-.jpg
    Rgds/Stefan

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.