Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Sigma 80 - 400

Take-a-View 10 293 5 United Kingdom
27 Nov 2006 6:56PM
Anyone got this lens and if so any comments on performance; or recommended alternatives in same price band?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

28 Nov 2006 5:20PM
i had this lens and straight away felt like i had made the wrong decision. go for a bigma or if you have a canon then canon 100-400mm or canon 400mm f5.6. because the auto focus is terrible and the image quality is not very good.

Ben
Take-a-View 10 293 5 United Kingdom
28 Nov 2006 5:29PM
Thanks for the good advice Ben. Have got a Canon but possibly moving over to Nikon hence the reason for looking at Sigma, plus of course they are cheaper.
29 Nov 2006 7:10AM
they may be cheaper, but there cheaper for a reason. which ever make you go with nikon or canon try to stay with that brands lens they work best with the camera and you'll get better results than with the third party lens.

Ben
strawman 11 22.0k 16 United Kingdom
29 Nov 2006 10:08AM
Not always true Ben. Also some manufacturer lenses are made by third party providers and badged.

The Sigma 80-400 I tried had just as good image quality as the Canon 100-400L. But it focusing performance was not as good, and the Canon was lighter but it has that terrible pump action zoom. Reliability wise both have their detractors.
ziddertz 9 61
29 Nov 2006 9:11PM
One major problem with Sigma (in my experience)is pot luck if you get a good one.
I have Sigma 80-400 EX DG OS etc.and have had nothing but trouble.Been back to Sigma UK 3 times and Sigma Japan once.
These days it very rarly sees the light of day,just no confidence in it.
The shame is "when" it is working the image quality is fine.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.