Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sigma Foveon X3 Direct Image Sensor

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    BillSz
    BillSz  3 United States
    4 Aug 2012 - 7:45 PM

I've read a bit about the Sigma Foveon Sensor and I'm curious about how it compares in the real world. Opinions?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    4 Aug 2012 - 7:45 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    4 Aug 2012 - 9:19 PM

Brilliant in all respects.

Except for noise above 400 ISO, Price and ACTUAL file size - which, in todays world of 20+Mb Nikon sensors - is not that good.

All that said, the graduation and colour rendition is totally superb.

ChrisV
    ChrisV  7769 forum posts United Kingdom26 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Aug 2012 - 11:36 AM

You forgot to mention difficulty and lack of speed in processing the resultant images. Apart from that... (this is beginning to sound like the Spanish Inquisition sketch).

But it is a great shame - you might imagine what this technology may have yielded if it had one of the big boys behind it. It seems doomed to be a niche product as it is, in spite of that recent massive price reduction.

parallax
    parallax e2 Member 5113 forum postsparallax vcard United Kingdom
    5 Aug 2012 - 12:03 PM

It really is a shame about the Foveon as it has the potential to wipe the floor with the ubiquitous Bayer.

A true RGB sensor is the way to go and if Sony or Canon were behind the technology, it would fly.

Doomed to languish at Sigma regrettably.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Aug 2012 - 5:37 PM

Quote: A true RGB sensor is the way to go and if Sony or Canon were behind the technology, it would fly.

I'm sure if Sony/Canon thought it would fly, they would have bought up the technology by now. Probably too many issues to be (expensively) sorted.

parallax
    parallax e2 Member 5113 forum postsparallax vcard United Kingdom
    5 Aug 2012 - 6:38 PM

The others have invested too much in the Bayer sensor and Sigma have the patents. The Foveon produces some of the most natural colour, gradations and detail around. If Sigma went into partnership with say Fuji, that could be very interesting.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Aug 2012 - 1:33 PM

Quote: It really is a shame about the Foveon as it has the potential to wipe the floor with the ubiquitous Bayer.

A true RGB sensor is the way to go and if Sony or Canon were behind the technology, it would fly.

Doomed to languish at Sigma regrettably.

I believe Canon has filed a patent for this type of tech - http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/07/canon-3-layer-sensor-foveon-type-patent/

But they don't seem to have done more than that yet.

BillSz
    BillSz  3 United States
    6 Aug 2012 - 2:07 PM

Well now that's interesting. A Foveon type sensor behind Canon L Glass would be something to be reckoned with!

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Aug 2012 - 2:15 PM

I wouldn't get too excited. Wink There's obviously a heck of a lot of development work needed before a Fovean-type sensor can handle the high levels of ISO which are starting to be taken for granted in the latest cameras (e.g. ISO 3200/6400 in DSLR/CSC, and 1600/3200 in compacts).

From what I've read, Fovean struggles a bit above ISO 400.

frenchie44
    6 Aug 2012 - 4:01 PM

I think the Sigma sensor is brilliant, i was able to use one for 10 minutes, i am thinking of getting the Merril slr for IR work, i know there is one near (50miles) from me , so off to the shop this week end, the IR blocking filter is removable. the results are amazing, i was open mouthed when i processed the shots. my faithfull fuji IS-1 will be up for sale now.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.