Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Sigma lens compatability issues??

2 Sep 2008 8:59PM
I have a strange problem developing (pun intended) my Sigma 24-70 2.8 has just stopped working with my D3 and D300, but works fine with a D200 or a D70, it used to work fine with all the cameras, any ideas?
I'm getting the FEE error, I know the lens has to be locked on the f22 setting so it's not that HELP!!!
The lens was used by another tog in between (on the D200) and I suspect he's done something deliberate.

Thanks Wayne

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Overread 6 3.9k 18 England
2 Sep 2008 9:15PM
Its not a firmwire issue is it?
Have you upgraded yours for you cameras recently - or was he running an older/newer version? A change to yours might have affected the lens compatabilty, though I can't really thing that his being different would have affected the lens in the long term.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
2 Sep 2008 9:19PM
D3 and D300...?

Why aren't you using Nikkors?
discreetphoton e2
10 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2008 11:12PM
budget constraints usually Mike.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
3 Sep 2008 1:20PM

Quote:Budget constraints usually Mike.

Appreciated but... D3 and D300 bodies and then use inferior glass?!
IanA 11 3.0k 12 England
3 Sep 2008 1:37PM

Quote:Appreciated but... D3 and D300 bodies and then use inferior glass?!

Cheaper, but not necessarily always inferior Mike! Wink

Wayne, have you tried cleaning the contacts??

Ian
3 Sep 2008 7:53PM
Thanks for the replies. We have cleaned the contacts with no sucess, as far as we know the lens was only used on the D200 between working and not working, none of the cameras has had any "new" updates (the D3 has had the update shortly after being bought but worked fine till now, the D300 already had the latest updates when bought a month ago) We do have some Nikor lens but it's the Sigma theres a problem with at the moment. Thanks Wayne
3 Sep 2008 8:03PM
It is not uncommon for older "independent" lenses not to function with newer Nikon or Canon bodies unless the lens chip is upgraded.
However as the lens initially worked on your new bodies, and you have cleaned the lens and camera throat contacts all I can suggest is contact Sigma.
4 Sep 2008 8:02PM
I contacted sigma who helpfully suggested I send it back (I'd never have thought of that) trouble is theres a 2 or 3 week turn around, and we are busy at the moment, and the lens works fine on the other cameras.... It'll have to wait till it gets quieter.
Thanks eveybody Wayne
dragarth 10 247 1 Scotland
8 Sep 2008 6:38PM

Quote:The lens was used by another tog in between (on the D200) and I suspect he's done something deliberate.

why don't you polietly ask the other tog what he did / what happened with perhaps a large hammer?
commandment 11 thou shal not lend camera kit...

good luck
sean

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.