Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sigma super wide zoom /macro lens for nikon???????

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    UrbaneMagick
    10 Nov 2012 - 11:40 PM

Hi,

I;ve bought the above lens as it was affordable & a cheaper option (new baby in family , so funds are extremely limited).

Unfortunately, I;m clueless how to work it, I;ve only got Nikon lenses up til now & is it a Sigma thing???

The ring nearest to the body, when turned seems to act almost like a filter & goes from light to dark.....

any ideas what I;m doing wrong/what should be doing?

I'd happily buy a manual for it if anyone has one?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Nov 2012 - 11:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

coliwolii
    coliwolii  469 forum posts United Kingdom
    11 Nov 2012 - 6:07 AM

Hmmm, sounds like you are adjusting a manual aperture ring. This ring adjusts the iris inside the lens letting less light into the lens (and the viewfinder), hence your view goes darker.
    Without knowing exactly what lens you have purchased, there are a few too many variables involved, but it could be the lens you have purchased is a fully manual lens and you will need to set your camera to "M" and maybe focus manually as well.

As far as exposure is concerned, you can search tutorials on this site or the web. they will be able to explain manual exposure far better than I can on this thread (I'm sure one of the usual e2 stalwarts will give it a go later though).
    When focussing with a fully manual lens you will probably find it easier to focus with the iris wide open, thus making your viewfinder nice and bright, when the point of focus is acheived you would then stop the lens down (close the iris) to achieve correct exposure.

Don't let this put you off though, learn how to use the lens and it will probably be very rewarding.

Newdevonian
    11 Nov 2012 - 7:39 AM

I assume that you have only used Nikon G lenses so far and are not familiar with aperture rings. Assuming your lens has a CPU, fit the lens to the body and turn the aperture ring to it highest numerical value eg F16 or F22. There might be an aperture ring lock which should be used. Once the ring value has been set, then your camera exposure values can be set in the normal way.

UrbaneMagick
    11 Nov 2012 - 10:47 AM

hI FOLKS,

Thankyou for your input.

I always focus manually on my other lenses as I try not to use autofocus at all .

However, it seems twixt the two of you, you have hit the nail on the head...I have only tried it a few times ,as ruined a few otherwise good photos, and I had either had a completely black photo..therefore totally underexposed, or the other way..totally over exposed.

I'll now pop up, reattach the lens & set the ring to f22.
    This will teach me not to researh properly before I buy I guess!!

I'll pop back when I have some results..either good or bad, & let you know the outcome.

Gareth Smile

widtink
    widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Nov 2012 - 3:25 PM

Sigma lens are generally pretty good IMHO so think you will enjoy it once you work it out Smile

Rod

UrbaneMagick
    12 Nov 2012 - 5:37 PM

Hi ColliWolli, New Devonian & Widtink ..... well, thanks to your great advice, I think I'm on top of it now.,..have set it to 22 as per advice & although not used it for landscape yet...did use it for the british landscape photographer Exhibition candid shots of attendees............& seems fine now...

Many thanks,

Gareth Smile

widtink
    widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
    12 Nov 2012 - 5:53 PM

Now you can get all of Hawkwind in the frame lol. You will be crowned "Lord of Light"Wink

Rod

UrbaneMagick
    12 Nov 2012 - 6:17 PM

Hey Tidwink..don;t know if you've noticed the new Ford advert on telly....the music to that is hawkwinds master of the universe Smile

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.