Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Sigma v Tamron 70 - 300

26 Mar 2012 10:55PM
I'm wanting to upgrade my Sony 75 - 300 kit lens and I was sure the Sigma 70 - 300 DG OS was the way to go, then I thought maybe the Tamron 70 - 300 DI USD was better, the down side to the Tamron is they have left the image stabalisation off of the lens in Sony mount because of the Sony having it built in to the body, the plus side is the USD. I'm wanting to shoot sports and the Sony hunting for focus is one of the reasons I want to upgrade, does anyone know which lens is faster at focusing and which gives the best results at 300mm? thanks for reading
Dave..

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

NEWDIGIT 3 401 United Kingdom
27 Mar 2012 11:42AM
The quality of the lenses is pretty much similar so dont see much of an advantage in changing.
I suggest the focus problem is more likely to be camear related
hobbo e2
3 892 2 England
27 Mar 2012 12:27PM
I have had no problems whatsoever with my TAMRON 70-300 fitted to my Sony A55, see the turkey shot in my portfolio for proof.

HBBO
tonyguitar 2 32 24 Canada
28 Mar 2012 3:12AM
I suggest the Tamron is better from what I read in reviews. I have used a Tamron 70 - 300 for the last year almost daily. Recently bought a Canon 70-300 L lens. The build is probably better, yet in comparing them both I have learned new respect for the Tamron 70 - 300. The Tamron is almost as good as the Canon 70 - 300mm. I should have just bought a 1.4X teleconverter for the Tamron. Oh well, live and learn...eh? TG
28 Mar 2012 3:21AM
PS: Dave, Most shots on my blog are Tamron 70 - 300mm.: PhotoTonyG.blogspot.com
TG
28 Mar 2012 10:54PM
thanks for the advice guys, yes I think the Tamron reviews are better than the Siggy ones, I'd better call into a shop and try the Tamron on my camera to see if its fast enough for my needs. Tony loving your blog, wow eagles, that would keep me occupied for many an hour
30 Mar 2012 1:10AM
Nice of you to take notice and comment on my blog. Here's a treat for you... One I keep going back to. This is the excellence I aim for. Just Google...VancouverIslandBirds. Enjoy... better than Nat. Geo. and no ads. TG
Gheck the latest, most recent journals first.
Cagey75 3 42 Ireland
2 Apr 2012 3:00PM
If you opt for the sigma, you better switch off the OS on your sony body, or on the lens. One will cause issue with the other. you could break the IS motor on the body, or lens. I used to use Sony, had an A200. I bought a sigma 70-300 and the AF busted in it after about 3 months. I read up on it and it seems it's a common issue between sigma lenses and Sony bodies.

get the tammy. They are every bit as good, and you do not need IS with a Sony.
AnupR 1 1
6 May 2013 9:29AM
Sigma or Tamron 70 - 300, which one is better suited for Nikon D5100?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.