Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Sigma zoom lenses

judder 13 2
1 Oct 2001 7:58PM
I have just traded in my nikon 28-80 for the latest Sigma 28 - 200 zoom lens (3.5/5.6 hyperzoom IF with Macro).
Have I done the right thing I have seen some favourable reviews and lately some bad ones , does anybody have any experience with this lens and is it a good buy for optical quality etc.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jelly 13 3
1 Oct 2001 9:08PM
I have used the sigma on my eos3 & it gives very good results for the money. AF was a tad slow compeard to USMs & is slightly soft wide open,stopping down just 1/3 sorted it.So it is a far better buy than the nikon
fullerton 13 64
7 Oct 2001 3:36PM
i've got the sigma 28-300 for my minoltas and it's a joy to use, hunts a bit at the long end of the range, but i've had excellent results from it and no longer have risk dropping one of my lenses when i'm switching between standard and telephoto. which is always nice.
Flashman 12 156
17 Jul 2002 9:14PM
I've got a Nikon F60, a sigma 105 macro and sigma 70-300DL. One day I was changeing lenses, I had the 70/300 resting on my forearm and yes I moved my arm and the lens fell on to a concrete pathway and rolled into the gutter.

I had that horrible feeling in my stomarch. I picked up my lens looked at it closley, shook it, all seemed well, fitted it to my camera and started to take photos. It still works perfect until this day, all that was wrong was a slight dent around the filter thread, I can still fit filters. This is what made my mind up to buy Sigma again when I went for the macro lens, I'd reccomend them to anyone.
Colin_A 12 32
30 Jul 2002 10:46PM
Super zooms like the Sigma 28-200 are good as a all in one package, but cannot match the optical quality of primes. Even high end zooms such as the Tokina 20-35 2.8 pro failed to return the goods when compaired with my Minolta 20 2.8AF.
Both lenses were run on a Dynax 9.
Phoenix 13 1.9k
2 Aug 2002 1:25PM
The optical quality of most Sigma lenses seems to approach that of Canon's consumer (i.e non "L" series) range of lenses and in some cases (e.g. the 28-80 "coke bottle" lens that used to come with many budget Canon kits) probably surpasses them.
The build quality of most Sigma lenses though is quite legendary (and not in a good way)

The EX range from Sigma though seem to be better both in optical and build quality

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.