Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

SilkyPix

Bloggs 3 313 England
14 Dec 2011 11:20PM
I now have a Pentax Kr camera and so far so good, i'm finding my way around it fine. However the software i got with the camera ( SilkyPix ) is not easy to use at all. Is it just me being dumb or is this software a pain in the butt. I have just gone back to using Windows Photo gallery because i find it easier to use and understand. Maybe i'm being alittle hasty but i was wandering if anyone else had been finding SilkyPix hard work ?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
14 Dec 2011 11:54PM

Quote:Is it just me being dumb or is this software a pain in the butt.

LOL....Smile You Are Not Alone......Grin

To be fair I have not looked at Silky Pix since it was just out of BETA testing, That said when I did check it out some years back, I thought at the time " Crikey This Software Is A Right Pain In The Nether Regions " , It was uninstalled from my computer, Never to darken my hard drives again......Smile

Sounds like it has not changed that much.....Grin

If your looking for a decent RAW handling software that is not to exepnsive, Check Out " Phase Ones " Capture One 6 Express......!!!

I think they are doing some reasonable deals price wise at the Mo.....Smile You can download and try before you buy as well......Wink

Windows Photo Gallery is not to bad for a freebie, It does have its limitations though......!!!
Bloggs 3 313 England
15 Dec 2011 12:12AM
Oh thank goodness for that, i thought i was in for a hard time with software for the rest of my life !!! lol ...right cheers for this i'll take a peek as soon as i can .... thanks again Grin
User_Removed 4 299 4 France
15 Dec 2011 8:28AM
I had a copy with a Panasonic Lumix LX3, its their RAW software....hated it.....I use Elements 9....stuart
hobbo e2
3 891 2 England
15 Dec 2011 8:58AM
I dumped my copy of Silkypix except for extracting videos (I don't take many).....I convert all my RAWS in Adobe DNG converter then use CS3 and/or Lightroom......with Corel Photopaint Pro occassionally:

Hobbo
Ewanneil 4 1.1k 2 Scotland
15 Dec 2011 9:02AM
When I was looking to buy raw editing software I downloaded free trials of SilkyPix, Capture NX2 and LightRoom 3. SilkyPix was ok but I didn't feel it was very intuitive. Capture NX2 just crashed all the bleedin' time and LR3 just blew my socks off by how good it was. I then got a free version of Capture One 6 which I really didn't like - by this time I had LR3 and it was going to take a lot to get me to like anything more than it.

Curiously I now have another piece of raw editing software which I think is great - Faststone. I only downloaded it because I wanted a quick and easy picture viewer but then discovered just how good it was as a raw editor. It's not a patch on LR3 but given that it's free it really is brilliant. It is worth a try because it's good and it's free.
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
15 Dec 2011 9:11AM

Quote:raw editing software which I think is great - Faststone.

I like that too.
Normally, I convert my RAWs using Lightroom but I sometimes use FastStone if I just want to do a quick job.
Aside from that, it's really useful for resizing, applying watermarks or logos etc. in batches.
Bloggs 3 313 England
15 Dec 2011 9:19AM
ahhhhh it seems Faststone is quite popular thanks guys i shall go take a peek. As for silkypix i think it's days on my pc are limited.
Bloggs 3 313 England
15 Dec 2011 10:41AM
I just got Fastones and so far so good Grin I have it working and am now going through the instructions which DO seem easy to follow yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ty guys .... In time i will go for a better one maybe LR but for the moment this will do fine . cheers
rhol2 e2
3 319 1 United Kingdom
18 Dec 2011 9:21PM
I agree with others that Faststone is brilliant for what it is. There is no noise reduction facility when converting RAW files, but after conversion, another freebie is good for this,"Noiseware" by Imagenomic.
Bloggs 3 313 England
18 Dec 2011 9:33PM
Thanks Rhol ... I'v been using the "Fastone" and for at this moment it's just what i need. I'll give Noiseware a look and let you know thanks again Grin
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
18 Dec 2011 10:43PM
Another vote for "Noiseware."
I used it all the time before I got "Lightroom."
Be careful not to overdo it though because although it's very good at removing noise, it's also quite capable of removing a lot of detail.
Try a few variations in the settings on some copies of your images and you'll see what I mean.
Also, some of the pre-sets work quite well in a general sort of a way.
Bloggs 3 313 England
18 Dec 2011 10:45PM
Thankyou Mr Jester your comments are noted and i will look at it Ty Smile
baldrick 6 3
6 Jan 2012 8:30AM
Bloggs, I think you might be confusing Silkypix with the softwarethat Pentax supplies with their cameras, it is based on the Silkypix Raw conversion engine, but the GUI is all Pentax. Pentax make brilliant cameras but their software is pathetic. On the other hand Silkypix Pro as written by the ISL company has always been one of my favourite Raw converters. Conversely I am always surprised at how many people love Lightroom. At 66years I am fairly set in my ways and don`t like software that tells me how I should import, categorise and edit MY photos on MY computer. Oh and it`s the least intuitive software I have ever used untill I tried PHOTIVO, which is free and if you ever get to suss it out it is one of the best.
Simmo
Bloggs 3 313 England
6 Jan 2012 8:52AM
Hi Simmo ... thanks for your comments, the "silkypix" i refered to was the one i got in the box with the camera. It's the only one i know of but it sounds like they have more versions . anyway i did get "Faststone" after being adviced it was FREE and a easy to use and i'm very very impressed with it up to now. I don't have LR yet but i may get it one day, but for now for my humble standard as a newbie to thius game "Faststone " seems fine. However i will try PHOTIVO seems it's a free kit and seee whats it's like. Thanks for your time Sam

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.