Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Silly laws

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315208 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2012 - 12:42 AM

LOl I did not know this

"In the UK, a man who needs to relieve himself in public can do so only if he aims for his rear wheel of his own car and keeps his right hand on the vehicle"

And here`s a few facing the chop.

http://money.aol.co.uk/2012/04/04/the-ten-silliest-laws-that-face-the-chop/?ncid...

SmileSmile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 5 Apr 2012 - 12:47 AM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Apr 2012 - 12:42 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MartinBrown
MartinBrown e2 Member 4124 forum postsMartinBrown vcard England
5 Apr 2012 - 8:32 AM

There is also a by law that you can ask a taxi driver for a barrel of HAY!!

NikLG
NikLG  91736 forum posts England
5 Apr 2012 - 9:55 AM

That taxi-driver, hay law was repealed a long time back....

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122238 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2012 - 9:56 AM

Quote: "In the UK, a man who needs to relieve himself in public can do so only if he aims for his rear wheel of his own car and keeps his right hand on the vehicle"

Are they really going to get rid of that one? I shall be most upset. Here in France they seem to have a similar one.
"In France, a man who needs to relieve himself in public can do so." Smile

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
5 Apr 2012 - 11:16 AM

How about the 400 or so laws regarding the ownership and use of a motor vehicle.

Jestertheclown
5 Apr 2012 - 11:17 AM

Quote: That taxi-driver, hay law was repealed a long time back....

. . . about 1975.

Prior to that, as a part of the Hackney Carriage licence, black cabs were supposed, by law to carry a bale of hay somewhere on the vehicle.

I don't think that many complied.

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114506 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2012 - 11:23 AM

The Licensing Act of 1872 explains that operating a cow, horse or steam engine while intoxicated carries either a prison sentence or a fine. So no riding a cow while you’re drunk!......

Does this include the wife whom I call a silly moo? Tongue

Ade

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315208 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2012 - 7:50 PM

Am I right in thinking a pregnant woman, if court short can still ask a policeman for his helmet.

Not sure if its still valid.

The law in question states that "a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants – even, if she so requests, in a policeman’s helmet"

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 5 Apr 2012 - 7:52 PM
Jestertheclown

Within the city walls of York, on any day except Sunday, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman, provided you do it with a bow and arrow.

. . . apparently.

RogBrown
RogBrown  73002 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
5 Apr 2012 - 11:17 PM

Quote: it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman

Thought that applied everywhere. Smile

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114506 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
6 Apr 2012 - 2:36 AM

Quote: Thought that applied everywhere.

No that only applies to Welshmen Tongue

Ade

mikehit
mikehit  56329 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
6 Apr 2012 - 8:41 PM

Legend: It is illegal to die in Parliament. This was voted Britain's "most ludicrous law".
Verdict: Myth.

Legend: It is a treasonable offence to stick a stamp upside down on a letter.

Legend: It has been claimed that the act of eating a mince pie on Christmas Day is illegal in England.

Legend: Former Coronation Street star Adam Rickitt reportedly said in 2006 that if his campaign to become a Tory MP was successful, he would seek to abolish a law allowing people in Chester to kill Welsh visitors.
Verdict: Myth. The prince threatened the Welsh with execution if they did not leave Chester. Fortunately for Welsh people, even if this was intended to incite the people of Chester to kill, the prince's order has since been superseded by murder and manslaughter laws, as well as the universal right to life under the Human Rights Act.

Legend: It is legal for a man to urinate in public, as long as it is on the rear wheel of his car and his right hand is on the vehicle. And pregnant women can legally relieve themselves in any public place, including into a policeman's helmet.

Legend: Do London taxis still have to carry a bale of hay in their boot?
Verdict: Myth. It's not clear even if the original law required drivers to keep a bale of hay.

Claim: If someone knocks on your door in Scotland and needs to use the toilet, you are bound by law to let them enter.
Verdict: As with many of the mythical laws that enter into legend and are frequently voted "most ludicrous", the toilet on request law probably goes back to a local custom.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17610820

I'll go and join the grumpy group, now....

Last Modified By mikehit at 6 Apr 2012 - 8:41 PM
polis_928tadw59

Google "Town Police Clauses Act, 1847" Yes, 1847, and a lot of it is still in force. You will find some quaint and hilarious offences listed. I think shaking a door mat in the street after 8am is still an offence. So gaan canny with the spring cleaning.Grin

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
7 Apr 2012 - 5:01 PM

Grin Thanks Polis, I'll just go and tell the 'Lesser Half'.

polis_928tadw59

Be careful, hinny. There is also a section of the Act where a" beast" roaming in a street, can be impounded. Make sure you come out of the pub in an orderly manner.TongueWink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.