Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Silver Efex Pro 2

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122304 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 10:22 AM

The latest version of Topaz B&W is actually pretty good and a big improvement.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Mar 2013 - 10:22 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ErictheViking
ErictheViking e2 Member 1124 forum postsErictheViking vcard Scotland102 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 12:05 PM

Hi Rod

I took sometime to compare the Topaz and Perfect B+W with Silver Efex. The closest to Silver Efex is the Perferct B+W, most of the controls are there in a similar form and the adjust ability looks much the same, if you want to get hands on and dirty with the images. Like most of these programs they need time to adjust and perfect there use. The Topaz software to me is more preset orientated which I now find a bit limiting however as Gaucho says it is pretty good and his sample images are impressive. The perfect I tried was the standard and there is a premium eddition which I assume gives more to play with.

Over to you Rod I would download all the B+W conversion programs youcan find pick and image and see what youcan achieve. Good luck and I look forward to the results.

Erik

Dave_Canon
19 Mar 2013 - 5:27 PM

I have been using Topaz B&W for some time now and only use the presets as a start point which is what Topaz recommend. There is a comprehensive set of adjustments which are it well worth using.

Dave

widtink
widtink  2406 forum posts Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Mar 2013 - 6:06 PM

Thank you Ian/ Seahawk i will look up on one Perfect B/W Smile

Rod

widtink
19 Mar 2013 - 6:09 PM

Thanks again Eric for your work in comparing the two much appreciated Grin

Rod

lemontart
lemontart  154 forum posts United Kingdom
21 Mar 2013 - 3:57 PM

great thread, I too have been looking for this, will take a look at the other's mentioned here, can anyone recommend products similar to Niks hdr and colour efex

Dave_Canon
22 Mar 2013 - 11:37 AM

In the Topaz Plug-in bundle you have Topaz Adjust 5 (probably nearest Topaz match to Colour Efex), Topaz detail 3, Topaz Simplify 3 (includes an excellent simulation of the famous Buzz filter).

Niks HDR Pro had good reviews but Oloneo is very close in performance.

Dave

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
22 Mar 2013 - 2:51 PM

I think that the point about Nik and Topaz programs is that they do not do anything that - given unlimited time, patience, knowledge and skill - you could not do in Photoshop. But they do theose things much more quickly, simply and intuitively.

I use Silver Efex Pro2, HDR Efex Pro2 and Color Efex Pro4. On average, I reckon that they allow me to do in 5 minutes what might take me a couple of hours in CS6.

I just love them and often use them direct from within Lightroom rather than going near Photoshop.

widtink
22 Mar 2013 - 2:57 PM

Yeah good point i much prefer lightroom to photoshop Smile If i can just get hold of Silver Efex pro2 i would be happy Sad

lemontart
22 Mar 2013 - 3:01 PM

thats why I like the programmes, I have tried the trials and very impressed at the ease of use and the fact that they also act as plug in's for pse - just getting hold of the actual software in uk other than download from Nik is nightmare not to mention costs

Gundog
Gundog  1624 forum posts Scotland
22 Mar 2013 - 3:06 PM

Widtink.

You should be able to download a "trial" version from the Nik website. Each time you start it, you will have the option (within the 15 days) of buying a registration key.

For some reason, straightforward purchases seem to be offline at present and UK suppliers such as Amazon don't have it in stock.

Might be worth an e-mail to: email@mailus.niksoftware.com

Last Modified By Gundog at 22 Mar 2013 - 3:08 PM
widtink
22 Mar 2013 - 3:08 PM

Cheers

Rod

lemontart
22 Mar 2013 - 3:15 PM

I prefer to have the discs just in case. not a great fan of downloading software as had problems in past. Will just have to wait and see but will look at the other software mentioned here in the mean time

lemontart
22 Mar 2013 - 3:22 PM

I have emailed NIK to inquire as to when and where we will be able to opt for the discs as opposed to downloads and will update once they have replied

widtink
22 Mar 2013 - 4:55 PM

Cheers dude at a first glance onone bw perfect looks good think I would rather have nik though

Rod

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.