Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Silver or White

ray1 e2
10 541 1 England
2 May 2010 2:22PM
What is the difference between a white and silver reflector on light.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 12 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
2 May 2010 2:28PM
I don't know as I'm not a studio shootist but I would imagine that White would give a softer reflection where as Silver would be more harsh.
However, someone will be along in a main who knows more that me.

Gerry.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
2 May 2010 2:34PM
Try them Ray. Use a white sheet and some well crushed and re-opened Kitchen-foil (spread over some cardboard for example).

Set up a subject in a static lighting situation (head and shoulders in a window - apply the reflectors in turn and review...

Smile
miptog e2
9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
2 May 2010 2:46PM

Quote:What is the difference between a white and silver reflector on light.

Don't forget Black and Gold Smile

Silver gives a more contrasty light, is stronger and harsh. Especially useful when the light is very low, and you wish to "amplify" it.
White is a more natural softer light
Black subtracts light
Gold give a warm tone, great for skin tones. It can also create a colour cast that is difficult to remove.

As Mike O suggested, have a play and see what you feel about it.
User_Removed 12 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
2 May 2010 3:01PM

Quote:Use a white sheet and some well crushed and re-opened Kitchen-foil (spread over some cardboard for example).

Good idea Mike.
You ever thought of presenting Blue Peter? Wink
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
2 May 2010 3:04PM
Don't forget that reflectors are not limited to studio use, They can be very usefull for outside/location shoots too, Lets say an outdoor portrait, Where you want a little light to soften shadows in a contrasty situation......Smile

A good assistant to hold/direct the light for you is also invaluable.....Wink Though sometimes its just a case of being inventive/creative.....Grin
ray1 e2
10 541 1 England
2 May 2010 3:07PM
Outdoors is the sort of use I am looking at.

Following on from that for portrait outdoors is flash or reflectors the way to go or even both. If flash on or off - into reflector etc.

I want just enough light to lift show but nothing more.
2 May 2010 3:14PM

Quote:You ever thought of presenting Blue Peter?

Yup! I failed the interview...

When asked if I liked kidz I replied 'preferably crispy'.

Wink
miptog e2
9 3.5k 61 United Kingdom
2 May 2010 3:15PM

Quote:flash or reflectors the way to go or even both.

Whatever does the job best for you. You can also use the reflector to bounce the flash. As a general rule of thumb:

1. Natural Light
2. Natural Light with a reflector (as fill)
3. Flash as main light or fill

Just think of the flash as your main light when outdoors, if there is insufficient natural light
cameracat e2
11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
2 May 2010 4:51PM

Quote:I want just enough light to lift show but nothing more.

Reflectors in outside portraits are great for this purpose, Lets say its a horribly bright ( Sun High in the sky day ) You will not want your portrait subject out in the sun, Or you run the risk of very harsh shadows at the very least.....Sad

So you look around for a slightly shaded location, Like for example under a tree, However this on its own can/will dull the subject a little, In this situation a well placed reflector can redirect some of the available light, How you direct it, Is up to you, Think of it in the same way as you might work with a remote flash unit, Except your using natural light rather than a flash/speedlight. ( For girlies use white coz its softer, For blokes either silver or white depends on intent )

Overall in the above scenario, Light will be coming from above, So the reflector may well need to be placed low, So as to provide a little uplight as well, This helps remove harsh facial shadows that can occur with light that is coming from above only......Smile

Its best to experiment, If you don't have a reflector yet, Look out for something around 1 metre in diameter ( Pop out type ) Silver and white, Gold ones are pain in the butt as they mess with the colour balance to much, Then skin tones look way to lurid......Wink

Quote:When asked if I liked kidz I replied 'preferably crispy'

LOL....Same here I failed coz I said I could not eat a whole one......Sad
ray1 e2
10 541 1 England
2 May 2010 4:58PM
Sounds like silver and white then or perhaps one of the 5 in 1 jobs.
2 May 2010 5:33PM

Quote:
LOL....Same here I failed coz I said I could not eat a whole one

(Were you the one just ahead of me in the 'Q' Vince..?? Wink)

The 5-in-one is extremely versatile; I got one thrown in with some head units last year - you 'll then have all bases covered Ray. Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.