Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sinful lust

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
fauxtography
9 Sep 2009 - 10:51 PM

Expensive but lovely. Hmm even if I sold up all my camera gear, I'd not get near the body price, let alone a body and one lens Sad

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
9 Sep 2009 - 10:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keith selmes
10 Sep 2009 - 8:58 AM

Just when I thought I had all the camera gear I needed, they go and do a thing like that. Definitely a dream come true - if you have the money.

DOGSBODY
DOGSBODY  51432 forum posts England30 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2009 - 9:11 AM

It's just an overpriced toy that will do nothing to improve your photography. There are far more essential things in life.

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2009 - 9:22 AM

There are more essential things in life than cameras, all cameras are toys as you could live without them. That in no way stops it from being desirable. If you want to feel better look at residuals on Leica gear.

Compared to what you could blow on a motorbike or new car its affordable.

Its like a 911, yes they cost as lot, but an older, but well looked after one can be picked up for the price of a new Mondeo. And what you pay in maintenance you do not loose in depreciation.

So I think its value is ok. Yes its expensive, but so is a D3X for example.

Last Modified By strawman at 10 Sep 2009 - 9:29 AM
keith selmes
10 Sep 2009 - 10:03 AM

Quote: an overpriced toy that will do nothing to improve your photography

For some people it will be the right tool for the job. Thus far they had to use a film camera, or the wrong sort of digital camera. Now they can use the right sort of digital camera. For me, it would not replace a DSLR, but it would be nice to have as an alternative. For some people it will simply be the right camera to use.
There's no point struggling with the wrong tool if you can have the right one. The point about any camera is that it enables you to take photographs. The point about a particular camera equipment is that it gives you the opportunity to take the photographs you want, the way you want.

(Admittedly, I do wonder how many M9 will just go straight in a glass case with the rest of the collection!)

fauxtography
10 Sep 2009 - 10:15 AM

Quote: The point about any camera is that it enables you to take photographs.

For me I'd say the point of "the right camera" is that it "doesn't get in the way of you taking photographs".

SteveCharles
10 Sep 2009 - 10:50 AM

Quote: It's just an overpriced toy that will do nothing to improve your photography. There are far more essential things in life.

As soon as anything to do with Leica crops up in the forum, someone is guaranteed to make a comment about the price. Yet, how many threads crop up everyday advocating the use of digital cameras and lenses running into the thousands? How many wildlife and sport photographers are there on here who use long prime lenses costing at least as much as this camera?

All photographers want the best tools to do the photography they want to do. If you are a wildlife photographer, that might be a high-end dslr & 600mm lens. If you are a dedicated documentary/street photographer, that money is better spent on a Leica. It doesn't make one more justifiably worth the expense than the other.

fauxtography
10 Sep 2009 - 11:11 AM

I actually priced up all my kit to sell, to see if I could afford this... thanks to someone putting the thought in my head on Monday... Hmm this camera and one 28mm and one 50mm lens... now that would be a nice street/documentary kit to have...

fauxtography
10 Sep 2009 - 11:47 AM

Have to say the X1 is pretty interesting too, it'll be nice to see how it and the new Panasonic GF1 compare.

pcheywood
pcheywood  91300 forum posts England
10 Sep 2009 - 12:51 PM

Quote: I want one too, and did you see the X1, sexy and practical.

35mm lens, 12mp APS sensor, fits in pocket, has viewfinder that clips on and did you see how they fitted in the po-up flash. Sexy and retro at the same time.

Now about that $2,000 price tag. If it were not for that you would hear the Sigma and Olympus bubbles popping.

Seems to be a very expensive way of getting a DP2, it looks a decent copy though, right down to the focusing dial! I wonder where they got the idea Wink

strawman
strawman  1022006 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2009 - 1:31 PM

Quote: Seems to be a very expensive way of getting a DP2

Yes but this one may focus and take pictures at a reasonable pace Wink

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2009 - 2:07 PM

I think dogsbody has a point. After using it for a week or two I suspect many people might question the wisdom of such a purchase - unless they're really loaded and 5K is small change. You wouldn't really sell all of your equipment to buy it - would you.

User_Removed
10 Sep 2009 - 2:16 PM

As I think we all find from time to time, unless you have the thing in your hands and use it its hard to tell from a distance what sets it apart and why it costs that much. Afterwards we may be in a position to judge. Its like the folk who come on here asking whether or not Canon L glass is really better than non-L glass. What you get is only ever an opinion. You'll never have the proof or otherwise until you use it yourself.

fauxtography
10 Sep 2009 - 2:28 PM

Quote: unless they're really loaded and 5K

That's the same price as a 1Ds3. If a discreet, quiet and intuitive camera is what you need/want for most of your shots, then the M9 is your weapon of choice.

Well as my kit wont cover the cost, then no I wouldn't Wink

Last Modified By fauxtography at 10 Sep 2009 - 2:30 PM
cathal
cathal  9492 forum posts Ireland4 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2009 - 2:30 PM

Unless you are seriously flush with cash, I don't think a new Leica is an impulse buy. There will be a ready market for this amongst serious Leica users and, sadly, collectors. I do hope the quality lives up to the brand.

Nice to see the adoption of Lightroom, rather than trying to develop their own software. More manufacturers should do that!

I think for the rest of us we can always hope that micro four thirds delivers on the promise.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.