Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Site slow?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

MeanGreeny
7 Jun 2007 - 2:14 PM

Quote: There is already a Members on Line page that gives you that information.

Not what I asked for - but I guess I'll make it the Home Page then Smile

Last Modified By MeanGreeny at 7 Jun 2007 - 2:15 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
7 Jun 2007 - 2:14 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jun 2007 - 3:17 PM

It's very weird now as we appear only to have a few occasions where members systems cannot cope with the new features. We are still trying to reduce the speed problems on a one by one basis and have done so for several users stuck with speed problems.
But, unless I'm mistaken, most are happy now?

That doesn't mean we are satisfied and won't help those who are not. Just let us know as much as possible about the times/pages you're accessing that cause the problems and the system you're using and we'll do what we can.

Kim Walton
Kim Walton e2 Member 10144 forum postsKim Walton vcard United Kingdom29 Constructive Critique Points
7 Jun 2007 - 3:34 PM

You also have to remember that "Your" the users ISP will have more of a work load---you can only get so much info down a pipe,if everyone is on line in the evening things will be slower on a home user basis.(Goes for lunch time as well)

MeanGreeny
7 Jun 2007 - 3:36 PM

I don't think people are unhappy with ePz as such. I get the impression that the v4 upgrade perhaps accentuated some niggles and made us more conscious of reporting them.

Last Modified By MeanGreeny at 7 Jun 2007 - 3:36 PM
davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72344 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
7 Jun 2007 - 4:26 PM

I second what Pete says. ePHOTOzine is a huge resource with loads of information on it. There are alot of different sections on the site and it takes time for us to go through each of them to find where the problem might be. Its very much like trying to find a needle in a haystack. BUT if we don't know there is a problem, it makes it even harder to find it. We do get some reports and emails about speed issues, but just skimming the forums you can see that there are people in here that don't bother reporting it to us.

Basicly, if you have performance problems with the site let us know immediatly so we can sort it out quicker and get back to all the new stuff we have lined up.

Hobo
Hobo  866 forum posts England
7 Jun 2007 - 10:40 PM

A lot of 'stand alone' i.e non networked home computers often have a lot of unwanted services running in the background. Turning these off may help with speed issues. Have a look Here

Peter

Last Modified By Hobo at 7 Jun 2007 - 10:42 PM
MeanGreeny
8 Jun 2007 - 8:18 AM

Quote: A lot of 'stand alone' i.e non networked home computers often have a lot of unwanted services running in the background. Turning these off may help with speed issues. Have a look Here

In that case I would have speed and download issues all the time. I don't. Read what I said.

Martin54
Martin54 e2 Member 8497 forum postsMartin54 vcard United Kingdom
8 Jun 2007 - 8:39 AM

Quote: In that case I would have speed and download issues all the time. I don't. Read what I said

Good point - and I assume you don't have speed problems with other sites, which would again point to Epz having some problems. I often see that Epz is slower to load than other sites, eg the BBC news website and that is also "a huge resource with loads of information on it", and I've been asked to clean up my PC to view that!

Martin54
Martin54 e2 Member 8497 forum postsMartin54 vcard United Kingdom
8 Jun 2007 - 8:54 AM

Edit That should have said
eg the BBC news website and that is also "a huge resource with loads of information on it", and I've NOT been asked to clean up my PC to view that!

Last Modified By Martin54 at 8 Jun 2007 - 8:56 AM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318442 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jun 2007 - 9:31 AM

Quote: "a huge resource with loads of information on it", and I've NOT been asked to clean up my PC to view that!

We have only suggested this because for several people who have had big problems with speed we found once we'd had several emails of communication with them that it did happen to be a major issue with spyware etc that they had loaded. Once we'd suggested how to remove these problems at a personal level the site was fast. The BBC does not have such complex systems. If you want to compare look at our news section/forums/articles sections. The all work as fast as the BBC, as fast as any site out there. Our site would work super fast if we didn't have a gallery with several layers of complexity.

Since V3 we have not just replaced the gallery table with the cleaner layout. We now have pagination which is an extra strain on the database, we have large images in size and weight which is a strain on your bandwidth, we have a much more complex search feature, and a far advanced filter system for categories. All these features were tested at beta level and worked fine, but that was with small numbers accessing. We've done further optimisation over the last two months that has improved the speed for most, but we still have problems when lots of people are on at once searching in different ways using the new functionality. We could cut these new features out and go back to the old way but that, in our view is a step back. So now we are trying to make those features work so we advance.

The team are today looking deeper into the database looking to optimise the queries that cause problems at peak/heavy usage times.

Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jun 2007 - 9:40 AM

I sometimes notice on my PC that some sites crawl occasionally (even stop working) and others still fly along (the BBC is one that always seems ok). I'm not techie, but have always assumed that this was due to the servers for some sites being in the USA (like epz?) and others being in Europe and that the transatlantic connections sometimes get a very heavy load. Maybe I'm being too simplistic but in essence I've presumed that slow site speeds aren't necessarily always the sites problem but down to the amount of bandwidth particular users ISP's have to the states. Is this a possibility?

Last Modified By Henchard at 8 Jun 2007 - 9:43 AM
digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jun 2007 - 9:44 AM

That's true and it isn't just down to where the servers are located. It is also effected by what bandwidth connection is being used for the servers.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72344 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
8 Jun 2007 - 9:46 AM

This could be possible. We have considered transfering the site over the UK servers but don't see this as the root of the problem. V3, worked fine, so why shouldn't V4. Its like Pete has said, we have put inplace some features that werent in V3 that allow more complicated filtering of the gallery and a few features are fixed in V4 that didn't work properly in V3.

The root of the slow downs seems to be the gallery filtering, so this is our optimisation priority.

Kim Walton
Kim Walton e2 Member 10144 forum postsKim Walton vcard United Kingdom29 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jun 2007 - 10:31 AM

The BBC website is a very small at front end.
Its got several pages ie News,England/Wales some latest issues but thats about it.Its images are compact
It doesn`t have to cope with x amount of people uploading at the same time---usually in the evening or lunch time --x amount of people sending PM or opening large images .
All in all the "team " are doing a grand job.
thanx

Henchard
Henchard  92744 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
8 Jun 2007 - 10:41 AM

Again not being techie would it not be worth people who are having very slow times 'pinging' epz to measure the time it takes to establish if it is their ISP or the site. For instance I just pinged epz which is taking 125ms as opposed to my own site 37ms and 23ms for the BBC site. Again not sure if this is relevant because I don't know enough (I just looked up how to 'ping'!).

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.