Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Site Speed

MalcolmS e2
9 1.1k 13 England
17 Sep 2007 8:32PM
As one who was not backward in criticising the new site for its lack of speed, I have to say that, for me at least, since everything crashed, the site has been the fastest it's ever been.

The biggest stumbling block was always 'Favourites' but this is now fine. Well done guys, whatever you did after the crash it's worked wonders.

Malcolm

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
17 Sep 2007 8:34PM
thanks Malcolm, praise indeed. Smile
The guys have been working hard on optimisation and I think we now have it running better than it's ever run.
Coleslaw e2
9 13.4k 28 Wales
17 Sep 2007 8:35PM
Universe was created after big bang...Wink
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
17 Sep 2007 8:39PM
( Crawler... ) Wink
joolsb e2
10 27.1k 38 Switzerland
17 Sep 2007 9:03PM
Well, it just crashed Safari 3.0.3....

Although it is generally running noticeably faster than a tortoise in a treacle factory.... Wink
andytvcams e2
12 10.4k United Kingdom
17 Sep 2007 9:37PM
It is a lot faster but not much more than if you were on dial up.

Compared to other sites it is really slow.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
17 Sep 2007 9:45PM

Quote:Compared to other sites it is really slow
That's weird? works super fast for me now? I'll have a word with the guys tomorrow to see if they can explain why that may be.

Anyone else still finding the site slow?

Also, not wanting to turn this into a negative feeling thread after Malcolm kindly kicked it off on a positive note, but I've had a report this evening that says several e2 members are upset at the changes and find the site not as good. It would be good to know why..and how what you want us to do to improve it.
andytvcams e2
12 10.4k United Kingdom
17 Sep 2007 9:54PM
Thanks Pete.

One thing i would like to know is that last week i bought a wide screen monitor now when i visit other sites they fill the screen yet here on Epz i have a two inch gap each side of the main menu ?
Kris_Dutson e2
12 8.2k 1 England
17 Sep 2007 10:27PM
It's optimised for mere mortals like me who don't have widescreen monitors Andy, otherwise we'd have to scroll left and right as well as up and down. Wink

And it's super fast here too Pete.
skeletor e2
11 1.6k England
17 Sep 2007 10:32PM

Quote:One thing i would like to know is that last week i bought a wide screen monitor now when i visit other sites they fill the screen yet here on Epz i have a two inch gap each side of the main menu ?

Yep, Almost half the screen is dead space...All that advertising space going to waste Wink

Steve
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
17 Sep 2007 10:34PM

Quote:they fill the screen yet here on Epz i have a two inch gap each side of the main menu ?

It's not good to have the page expand as the whole design goes to pot and the text becomes too long to read easily. Unless the site has other tricks to fill the space?
andytvcams e2
12 10.4k United Kingdom
17 Sep 2007 10:37PM

Quote:Yep, Almost half the screen is dead space...All that advertising space going to waste

That or bigger thumbnails Smile
JJGEE
10 6.4k 18 England
17 Sep 2007 10:44PM

Quote:One thing i would like to know is that last week i bought a wide screen monitor now when i visit other sites they fill the screen yet here on Epz i have a two inch gap each side of the main menu ?

I asked this very question back in April 2005
17 Sep 2007 10:45PM
If it fills the screen (East-West) doesn't that mean that it'd look like a TV in a showroom...everyone with oval heads...
Or, more North-South scrolling required to get up and down the page..?
dougv e2
10 8.4k 3 England
17 Sep 2007 10:52PM
No Kevin.
All that happens is that the page is made wider and the text will fill out the screen.
The photos are a fixed size and would not expand.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.