Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Skylight filters

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Bloggs
    Bloggs  2313 forum posts England
    5 Jan 2012 - 10:13 PM

Is it a good idea to get a skylight filter for my Pentax Kr ? I understand that they are good for protecting your main lens on the camera. I just wondered what the gang here thought about them ? Thanks for your help Grin

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Jan 2012 - 10:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    5 Jan 2012 - 10:35 PM

Hi Sam,
    I used to use filters as a protection for my lenses until I realised I was buying a high end lens at great expense, then wasting all that quality by fitting a Skylight on the front.
    After watching the video of a guy twatting the Canon lenses with a hammer, with no effect at all, I decided I was defeating the object by putting a filter in front of quality glass................plus I really look after my gear. I admit, it get's knocked about a bit, especially during the 'Photo scrums' but all my gear has Canon stamped all over it and therefore, I don't worry too much.

This is just my honest opinion so please, let's not turn this into another argument. Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 5 Jan 2012 - 10:42 PM
    cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Jan 2012 - 11:21 PM

If you must place a piece of glass between your lens and the outside world for protection alone, You may be wiser to look at the NC variety, But only the really expensive ones.....Grin

As mentioned above, Whats the point of Pentax or Canon or Nikon making stellar lens models, Just so we can degrade the light passing through them with filters......Sad

Keep a hood on at all times, This will protect the front element to a degree, Don't use brillo pads to clean the front element, Then just be carefull.....!!!

Having said that, This is an old debate " To filter Or not to filter " ......Grin

Bottom line, Be aware of all the factors involved, Then make a decision that you personally are happy with....!!!

Wink

Bloggs
    6 Jan 2012 - 8:21 AM

Thanks for this guys, i do keep the hood on my lens when ever i'm not using the camera as standard. I read in a book that having a skylight filter is a good idea or protection but as you say if it degrades the end result what is the point !!! .... i'll be interested to see what anyone else has to say about this but up to now your advice seems good advice. I will be taking great care with my gear anyway but in the end we all want the best we can get from our cameras so maybe this is worth giving some thought !

mikehit
    mikehit  56475 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jan 2012 - 8:51 AM

Oh, boy. Here we go again Grin

Quote: if it degrades the end result

If....

Last Modified By mikehit at 6 Jan 2012 - 8:51 AM
    answersonapostcard
    answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012604 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jan 2012 - 8:53 AM

Just dont buy a cheap ones. There have been many discussions on it ... here and elsewhere. Personally I use one on all mine except one which has a lens hood.

Bloggs
    6 Jan 2012 - 8:54 AM

LOL ..... seems like i have missed the other threads on this subject being a newbie here !!! hmmmm have i opened a can of worms here ? sorry guys just wondered what you all thought ? Grin

answersonapostcard
    answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012604 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Jan 2012 - 8:59 AM

There will be many, differing, opinions but if you search the forums for lens protection, filters etc. you'll find plenty of bed time reading Grin

Heres just a sample http://www.ephotozine.com/forums/topic/uv-filters-84044

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.