Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Slaughter House Raided

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

jondf
jondf  72474 forum posts
12 Feb 2013 - 7:37 PM

And the government's response? "Disgraceful! Appalling! Disgusting!"

But you see, while these firms were in business and making healthy profits, who was checking the meat? Personally couldn't care less if they put a bit of pork, horse, chicken or turkey in my Tesco bolognaise (recommended) but as is the norm with these things, the sin is to be found out...

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
12 Feb 2013 - 7:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

arhb
arhb e2 Member 72152 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2013 - 8:09 PM

I think it's all part of a greater scheme to get us all eating horse meat - maybe in 10yrs or so.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122211 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2013 - 10:12 PM

Perhaps an apology to Romania is due...

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314978 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
12 Feb 2013 - 10:19 PM

If its going on here, I`m sure its going on elsewhere, an apology is needed though.

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41181 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 10:13 AM

I don't think they ever claimed the beef was actually 100% beef, very few companies do, as many things like this contain extra cereals and additives (both for flavour enhancement and for cheapness).

I have eaten horsemeat (knowingly) abroad, and have no problem with it. I see no problem with societies eating things like dog either - they are bred for eating the same way farm animals are here, so before we all throw our hands up in horror, we must remember that the only sin here is to be found out. After all, they never claimed there was [b]no[b] other meat in the products.

If you are not already aware, you should research just how much (or how little) actual meat there is in things like sausages, burgers, ready meals etc

http://www.norfolk.gov.uk/view/NCC089257

Nick

collywobles
13 Feb 2013 - 10:26 AM

The bit that doesn't surprise me about all this is that what else can you expect when people are buying bottom of the range prepared foods.............. that in itself invokes a doubt. The only way to know what meat you are eating is to buy quality from reputable butchers not some preprepared packet of Lasagne or Meat Balls. We only have ourselves to blame, in my generation you prepared food yourself not eat from a packet!

Anyway dont see much of a problem about eating horse meat.....

simont
simont  102248 forum posts England4 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 10:43 AM

Quote: Perhaps an apology to Romania is due...

Why?

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318436 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 11:13 AM

Quote: The only way to know what meat you are eating is to buy quality from reputable butchers not some preprepared packet of Lasagne or Meat Balls. We only have ourselves to blame, in my generation you prepared food yourself not eat from a packet!

I hope this does help out the high street butchers and also the farmers who sell produce. I was listening to one the other day who explained how she follows every stage of her produce (lamb) from birth to death and delivery. You may pay a bit more but you do know what you're getting...in theory!

I retried Quorn the other day - just out of interest to see if non-meat products were worth revisiting. I made a chilli - it was horrible - possibly down to my culinary skills!
I then decided to look up what goodness Quorn gives...and even that is subject to controversy. I never realised it was a fungal discovery - actually mould!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 11:27 AM

I eat Quorn (in various forms) all the time, Pete - as a '99% vegetarian' it is my way of ensuring protein. My health has never been better since I ditched meat a few years back. I also have the satisfaction of reading about meat scares - which seem to feature in the news almost all the time - and thinking... thank heavens that's something I don't have to worry about! Wink

That said, I can be tempted by a nice pork sausage roll. Lol! Grin

Last Modified By Carabosse at 13 Feb 2013 - 11:31 AM
lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014073 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 11:35 AM

Quote: I retried Quorn the other day - just out of interest to see if non-meat products were worth revisiting. I made a chilli - it was horrible - possibly down to my culinary skills!

I should think its your skills Pete - Quorn doesn't really have any discernible flavour to me.

AlexandraSD
13 Feb 2013 - 11:44 AM

Quorn is a weird thing, i dont eat much of it myself, on its own its bland and virtually tasteless, but its come a long way since i turned veggie 24 yrs ago, those Linda McCartney products were vile, im not even sure you can buy them anymore.

Quorn though, im not bothered about it being mould, im sure penicillin was as controversial in its day, but its not something i eat regular now, once a week maybe, twice if i do spag bol.

I know the media are loving this story, but are joe public really that bothered about eating horse meat? People have eaten sausages and burgers for years knowing full well that anything could be inside those things, so why all the fuss now? Just seems as if the media have nothing else to scare us with right now and this horse meat saga is the best they can come up with. Though the issue seriously needs addressing, ready made meals are unhealthy enough and consumers have every right to know that what they are buying is kosher. But really?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 11:45 AM

Quote: Quorn doesn't really have any discernible flavour to me

Depends. For example Quorn "chicken" pieces have quite a distinct flavour. The mince less so.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122211 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 11:47 AM

Quote: Quote: Perhaps an apology to Romania is due...

Why?

Because of stuff like this

samueldilworth
13 Feb 2013 - 11:49 AM

Quote: Perhaps an apology to Romania is due...

Why?

Because, thus far at least, there’s no evidence the Romanian abattoirs did anything wrong. They merely sold horse meat and horse carcasses, which is of course perfectly legal.

It seems someone else down the line decided to label that horse meat as beef, but that hasn’t stopped the Daily Mail and other reactionaries from blaming Romanians, the Poles, the Irish, and basically anyone other than stout, upstanding British farmers, abattoirs, and factories.

Meanwhile, the only confirmed wrongdoing in the whole fiasco so far is by the Aberystwyth and/or West Yorkshire plants that used horse meat as if it were beef (this according to Andrew Rhodes of the Food Standards Agency, which raided the premises).

Have a look at the tone of this article. Weasel words and wrong insinuations unashamedly juxtaposed against photos of a spotless abattoir and – on cue – a baby donkey. Retch.

Or what about this hilarious cartoon. Don’t let the facts get in the way! The Dirty Digger himself could take lessons from Dacre’s sloppy crew.

The only justice so far: the National Beef Association has been humiliated into silence by the FSA raids mere hours after recommending the words ‘United Kingdom origin’ be put on food packaging to prevent ‘further cheating’ by those dastardly continentals. You couldn’t make this up.

The idea that the meat industry, of all industries, would selflessly regulate itself in the absence of routine testing is as far-fetched as free-range farming.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318436 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 11:54 AM

Quote: Quorn is a weird thing, i dont eat much of it myself, on its own its bland and virtually tasteless, but its come a long way since i turned veggie 24 yrs ago, those Linda McCartney products were vile, im not even sure you can buy them anymore.

I was vegetarian for about 14 years and used to eat lots of pulse substituted chillis/spag bol/lasagne etc. They can be very tasty. The quorn mince didn't absorb the flavours like meat does and just made the meal quite dull.

Quote: I also have the satisfaction of reading about meat scares - which seem to feature in the news almost all the time - and thinking... thank heavens that's something I don't have to worry about!

Have you read some of the things they say about Quorn? - but there are arguments about most products.

Quote: For example Quorn "chicken" pieces have quite a distinct flavour

Artificial flavours which, no doubt, according to some scientists are doing us harm in other ways.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.