Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Slaughter House Raided

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41181 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 4:37 PM

Did the packaging claim 100% beef? If it said that, I would infer that there were no other substances apart from beef...no salt, flavourings, additives, vegetables, nothing. Which is why packaging is carefully controlled, and a minimum amount of meat must be present in order to call it, for instance "pork sausage", "steak pasty" etc. very little is actually 100 % anything in commercial foodstuffs.

One of the reason budget lines make no such claim is the amount of 'extra stuff' that is added to bulk up with cheaper material.

Last Modified By Sooty_1 at 13 Feb 2013 - 4:38 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Feb 2013 - 4:37 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

AlexandraSD
13 Feb 2013 - 5:01 PM

Nick, i was attacking the industry, not its consumers, who pay more than enough for meat as it is, without being sold some other species of mammal. If labels claim 85% beef or what have you, then surely you have the right to expect to get beef at least, like at 85% or whatever is used in ready meals/burgers/sausages.

The thing is, if meat eaters are being lied to, it makes me wonder if vegetarians are being taken for a ride too, whats stopping food processing factories adding animal gelatine instead of the vegan alternative or something similar to its "suitable for vegetarian" consumables, which ranges from polo mints to pretty much anything else which used to contain animal derivatives. Worrying indeed.

Just to clear things up, that film alone didnt turn me veggie, it was on the cards for weeks and weeks but that film was the final nail in my meaty coffin, and it was out of compassion, not because i am squeamish around meat/food, which i am not, but i will admit to being shocked when i see half alive animals p****** and s******* themselves, literally, as faulty stun guns try to kill cows but failing miserably yet lining the animals up for slaughter anyway, lovely stuff, not to mention those vile chicken farms which were once such a health hazard that chicks are born with increasing deformities and abnormalities on a regular basis, wonderful, such humility there, and then there were those other poor farm animals where farmers openly admit to breaking the noses and legs of cows, pigs, sheep, who didnt do as they were told with wooden clubs, ie, behaved a bit like animals do, animal like. Charming.

Things have may changed on the outside, but who can really tell whats in food now.

Buy fresh food, make it yourself, tastes far better anyway Smile

LVanDhal
LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 6:01 PM

Four years working at the bottom of the ladder in a supermarket taught me that supermarkets have a lot to answer for.
Supermarkets employ a great number of psychological tactics on their customers in order to prevent them from looking around and realizing that the customer is actually purchasing food from a large often badly run warehouse.
The big four as the major supermarkets are known, have a goal to gain the customers unquestioning trust.
To do that they all attempt to ingratiate themselves to the customer as if they ( the supermarkets) were a part of the customers family,
they lay claims through out the many advertising schemes they hold both in the media and in store to be "Helping you and your family"
The true and only interest of the big four is profit, they exist only to make a profit.
If a supplier can promise to deliver to a supermarket a supply of packaged food for less than the current supplier, the supermarket will take it,
often the supermarket will not pay the supplier to take it out right but will offer a "Deal" where by the supplier is charged themselves for where the food product is positioned in the supermarket, this cuts in to any profit the supplier maybe making on the product.
The only advantage a supplier has in agreeing a "Deal" with any of the big four is a chance at making vast sales.
If the profit on a jar of jam is only two pence to the supplier, selling 50,000 jars will make it viable to produce, but a 1000 sales will not,
that is why suppliers will seek out a contract with the big four.
A supplier will often agree to produce a food product that actually constitutes a loss in profit in return for another contract to run at the same time to produce a more expensive to the customer version, so two products from the same producer go on to the shelves and the sales loss of one is countered by the sales profit from the other.
I would plead with any one to not buy food from a supermarket, ( but I do know people will have many objections to that, because the rhetoric of the supermarket advertising is far too invidious for most people to realize even their objections are not their own)
Their is a reason the customer cannot buy much in the way of Unpackaged food in a supermarket, self selection is the enemy of the mass psychology behind selling "No Choice but our choice".
The slaughter industry is co dependent on supermarket contracts, many slaughter houses would go out of business if their contract with a supermarket supplier went down.
Even the fast food industry with its burger chains is a better option for reliable food standards because they only use one core product, ie, KFC use Chicken, McD, uses beef, they therefore are better placed to negotiate a deal with the supplier, to a better standard, but be aware that standard is still pretty low, a burger of beef for 99p is still a questionable product in how it can be produced for such a small amount of money yet remain profitable to the entire chain behind it.
I used to hear parents in the store I worked in telling their children not to pick up dropped sweets with the familiar admonishment,
"Don't put that in your mouth you don't know where its been"
I wish more people would do that before they chucked half a dozen readdymeals in to the trolly, and rushed through the checkout because they've got to get to the doctors for yet another blood pressure check.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314963 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 6:06 PM

I`ve eaten most things, including squirrel and rat, even the odd bit of road kill Smile

But if I buy something I expect to know what it is.

dcash29
dcash29  81898 forum posts England
13 Feb 2013 - 6:24 PM

Its a waste if they dont use the meat after the bones have been used for wine gums

AlexandraSD
13 Feb 2013 - 6:25 PM

Liz, i worked at "Smedleys" for a while in the 90s, i have seen chopped onions spilt on the floors then shovelled back into a tray/bucket, ready to be processed for veg soup or something, runny nosed old men and women dripping snot while on sorting lines, coughing and spluttering over it all, and one old boy who was really old and incapable of a high level of personal hygiene (he actually had fleas Sad ) was often sent from the packing department into the soup room to help prepare the mixes... God knows what fell into food off of him, he would openly pick his nose and.... gross.

As for the difference between value and big name brands from the big supermarket chains, there is none, not in the canned food processing industry, the only difference between tescos finest baked beans or whatever it was back then, and the value baked beans was the label. And about a quid probably. Every little helps tescos....

LVanDhal
LVanDhal  1126 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 6:44 PM

Quote: I`ve eaten most things, including squirrel and rat, even the odd bit of road kill Smile

But if I buy something I expect to know what it is.

I agree paul, and its interesting to think that if someone bought a beef lasagna from a seller on Ebay, they would enjoy more rights and protection from being missold to than if they nipped down to a supermarket and bought it there.
But who would buy a microwavable meal from an Ebay seller ?

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314963 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 7:27 PM

Here`s an interesting link Smile

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/17/jonathan-mcgowan-roadkill_n_1016108.htm...

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014491 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 8:01 PM

Quote: I expect some people will be intolerant of the stuff, but in general it's a lot healthier than meat eating (especially red meat).

CB, I don't think you can qualify a statement like that for everybody; red meat is essential for some people.

StrayCat
StrayCat  1014491 forum posts Canada2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 8:10 PM

Quote: Has anyone visited such an establishment?

Many of them, in Paris. Equus is common on Paris restaurant menus. In fact I flew tonnes of horsemeat from Montreal to Paris. However, I never did eat any.

I've eaten seal, rattlesnake, frog's legs, elk, deer, rabbit, lots of sea birds, bear, etc., but never as a steady diet.

rhol2
rhol2 e2 Member 3281 forum postsrhol2 vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 8:55 PM

On the theme of "knowing what you're eating", my very reputable Family Butcher once advised me that if I wanted some minced meat,rather than buy the ready minced product it was advisable to choose a piece of steak or whatever, then ask the butcher to mince it.

However, if the mincing machine was not on view in the shop, it would be better to mince it at home!

Paul Morgan
13 Feb 2013 - 9:02 PM

Quote: Have you read some of the things they say about Quorn?

Or soy Milk Smile

http://www.livestrong.com/article/516107-long-term-side-effects-of-soy-milk/

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 13 Feb 2013 - 9:04 PM
collywobles
13 Feb 2013 - 10:16 PM

Quote: Just because people buy low end products it doesn't mean they deserve to be conned.

I wasn't infering people should be conned. The point I make is that if you buy bottom of the range food/meat then it becomes as no surprise what you get in it. An example is those elephant size legs of Kibab meat roasting in caravan food stops on the side of the road. Now how anyone in their right mind would eat that is beyond me and surely common sense says "I think I'll give that a miss just in case"

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2013 - 10:28 PM

Quote: The only way to know what meat you are eating is to buy quality from reputable butchers not some preprepared packet of Lasagne or Meat Balls. We only have ourselves to blame, in my generation you prepared food yourself not eat from a packet!
I hope this does help out the high street butchers and also the farmers who sell produce. I was listening to one the other day who explained how she follows every stage of her produce (lamb) from birth to death and delivery. You may pay a bit more but you do know what you're getting...in theory!

I retried Quorn the other day - just out of interest to see if non-meat products were worth revisiting. I made a chilli - it was horrible - possibly down to my culinary skills!
I then decided to look up what goodness Quorn gives...and even that is subject to controversy. I never realised it was a fungal discovery - actually mould!

I have to completely agree here and if this helps the consumer in Britain find their local butcher then its a great thing - BUY BRITISH or take a lucky dip Wink

Paul Morgan
13 Feb 2013 - 10:32 PM

Quote: I have to completely agree here and if this helps the consumer in Britain find their local butcher then its a great thing - BUY BRITISH or take a lucky dip

I think some of you will have heart attacks if you visited my local butcher Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.