Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Sleep well Jimmy.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

User_Removed
29 Oct 2011 - 4:00 PM

Just found out that Sir Jimmy Savile has died aged 84.
A big part of my childhood and met him a few times in later life.
This was one of those times when I met him at the London marathon 1982.

Sleep well Jim and thanks for being part of a great childhood.
sir-jimmy-saville.jpg

Last Modified By User_Removed at 29 Oct 2011 - 4:00 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Oct 2011 - 4:00 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2011 - 5:04 PM

Second your comment, I met him in London mid 70s, A man on a mission always on a mission, I doubt anyone will have a clue just how much this guy cared, Or indeed raised awareness off or cash for, To help with whatever & whenever needed.

LOL....I can see him now, Puffing on a big gigar surrounded by a bunch of notoriety, Of course no one dare mention the large " No Smoking " sign nailed to a wall some yards away.....Grin

An image that will no doubt tickle many of those who knew or met him.....!!!

Great guy....

AlexandraSD
29 Oct 2011 - 5:44 PM

Saw him doing the great eastern run in 92 in peterborough, everyone was shouting his name as he came past, and he managed a smile and wave even though he looked tired.

Jim'll Fix It was on all the time when i was a kid, i remember watching him almost every saturday. His fashion sense probably left a bit to be desired but that was all part of his charm, a true eccentric.

At the time of writing the second paragraph a news item just came on the bbc news about him passing away. Very sad.

RIP Jimmy.

Graysta
Graysta  91135 forum posts England
29 Oct 2011 - 6:22 PM

Often seen running around Scarborough,and remember that the QE2 on her fairwell voyage came into Scarborough bay to pick up Sir James that's the respect he commanded,A massive part of my childhood memories of pop radio and TV.
R.I.P. Jimmy
ouwe's that then.

Paree
Paree  9594 forum posts3 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2011 - 6:35 PM

[quote]Saw him doing the great eastern run in 92 in peterborough,

my son also ran in this run with Jimmy and he was charming and had time for every one,
he was one of the few people who can not be replaced because he was an original.

god bless you Jimmy

paree

Last Modified By Paree at 29 Oct 2011 - 6:35 PM
LesF
LesF e2 Member 7176 forum postsLesF vcard 8 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2011 - 7:05 PM

Top guy

God bless you Jimmy

LesF

User_Removed
29 Oct 2011 - 8:10 PM

What Gerry and Vince have said... I too had the pleasure of his company when in the RAF...

Another pleasurable part of my life gone..

Thank you Sir Jimmy.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 29 Oct 2011 - 8:10 PM
Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
30 Oct 2011 - 1:35 AM

'Ow's about that then, guys and gals?....

Top bloke...

kathrynlouise
kathrynlouise e2 Member 2364 forum postskathrynlouise vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
30 Oct 2011 - 6:43 AM

R.I.P jimmy. Loved jim'll fix it when i was younger Smile

Sus
Sus  93183 forum posts England9 Constructive Critique Points
30 Oct 2011 - 8:23 AM

Very sad to hear the news. I loved Jim'll fix it too. I was always scared my mum would put me in for it without me knowing (she desperately wanted me to be on telly despite me being the shyest child ever... she once sent off an application for me to be on Blind Date without me knowing!).

Really sad he's gone, one of my childhood icons.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014807 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
30 Oct 2011 - 4:50 PM

Used to see him in Roundhay Park quite often, he had an apartment there.

Pretty unmissable in his shell suit, shades and white hair !

Complete odd ball, but loved Jim'll Fix It - I never did write in....

Looking forward to the inevitable repeat of the Louis Theroux show with him

cantona43
cantona43 e2 Member 9885 forum postscantona43 vcard England4 Constructive Critique Points
30 Oct 2011 - 5:22 PM

Jimmy was on a charity walk in Scarborough about 7 years ago and as I was gardening ( in my previous guesthouse garden)I heard a voice say nice garden sir I looked around and Jimmy was sat on my garden bench in his infamous shell suit he politely posed for photos with some of the guest that were staying in my guesthouse, just after he left there was a lady with her daughter who had Down syndrome walked by and asked if it was Jimmy Saville I replied yes and she said I wished I had known I would have gone and got my camera to which on impulse i shouted up the road Jimmy hold on he came back and had is photograph with the woman and daughter and chatted with them for a further 10 mins or so with I thought was so nice of him R.I.P. Sir Jimmy you were one of lives genuine caring people who raised millions for charities
Neil
jimmy.jpg

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
30 Oct 2011 - 7:50 PM

Tranny tucked under the sheets in the very early '60's, listening to him ( Radio Luxembourg)

MemoriesTongue

Last Modified By tomcat at 30 Oct 2011 - 7:55 PM
User_Removed
30 Oct 2011 - 8:13 PM

I had to read that twice Adrian but yes, now I know what you mean.
Yeh, I was there doing the same. Great days. Wink

It was the "Under the sheets with a Tranny" bit that threw me. Grin

Last Modified By User_Removed at 30 Oct 2011 - 8:15 PM
scottishphototours

Saw Jimmy walking through the main street of Glencoe village one day in his gold tracksuit. It was quite a surreal experience, made worse by the puzzled looks on the faces of the foreigners on the same street at the time...

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.