Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Slide film novice

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ella
    ella  1143 forum posts
    10 Mar 2003 - 9:59 PM

Could anyone tell me a little more about the advantages of using slide film. ALso what is best to buy and where is best for processing.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Mar 2003 - 9:59 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

durlstonp
    durlstonp  11638 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    10 Mar 2003 - 10:46 PM

Advantages:

WYTIWYG (What you take is wht you get) as it is a one stage process - development only. With the second stage of print films, effects that you purposely went for can be savagely attacked by print lab machines or techies, all for the best possible reasons.

Bigger Wow! factor. By projecting a slide, you can get a gorgeous 'enlargement' on the wall with incredible detail and tonal quality that a print simply cannot match.

Traditionally easier for submission for publication.

Easier on the eye in storage. An A4 sheet of slides on the lightbox is easier to judge than the equivalent negatives.

Disadvantages:

WYTIWYG (What you take is wht you get) as it is a one stage process - development only. With the second stage of print films, mistakes that you accidently made may be miraculously restored by print lab machines or techies, using skill and technology.

The dynamic range is narrower on slide film. So you'll need to dig out the ND grad filter more. Also exposure needs to be more accurate.

You can't (generally) pop them in to a high street lab and get them back the same day. Jessops and the like will take your films, send them to their central lab and return them to the shop about a week later. It is often quicker and cheaper to use a reputable mail order company or find a professional lab (usually in a back street!) Mail order costs hover around 3 unmounted and 4.50 mounted with high street prices being about a quid more. The Fuji lab I use gives them back the same day and charges me 3.25 unmounted, 4.85 mounted.

It's a choice of colour or colour! Well, to be fair, there is Scala, but the one place in this country that could develop it for you has recently gone bust, so it's probably best to accept that you're going to use colour for now.

As for the best film - it's entirely like print films, being a totally personal choice. I swear by Kodak Elite Chrome 100 (aka EBX100) for its punchy, over saturated colours. Other people swear at it for the same reasons! Fuji Velvia (asa50) and Provia (asa 100-400) are also very well regarded. I suggest that you try a few out and see which ones you like the best.

DP

Janet Pattison
    11 Mar 2003 - 8:38 AM

I'm putting my oar in again, here, to say the big advantage to slide film whilst you're practising is that you can get the sort that you can develop at home - giving the pusscat hours of fun batting the drying films and keeping the missus/mister away from the kitchen sink wilst you fiddle with hot and cold water and thermometers and developers and fixers and washes and ... did I say this was an advantage? IT IS IF YOU TAKE AS MANY AS I USED TO - but I've gone digital now.

Avoid helpful pusscats by taking your films to a processor if you like, but don't forget the joys of DIY - 'cos you can proudly say "I produced this" every step of the way.

J-P
    J-P  11396 forum posts
    11 Mar 2003 - 9:18 AM

Janet, not sure I understand. E6 is notoriously difficult to process at home. Very, very few people do it - especially when the labs do it so cheap. Certainly not something for a beginner.

As I understand, accredited labs have daily quality checks from the likes of Fuji and Kodak such is the stringency.

Jeff Russell
    11 Mar 2003 - 11:38 AM

I used to process my own slides and also made prints from them at home. I had a quick turnaround time. Photos taken during the day would be processed that evening. Quicker than downloading digital.
    This was in the early '80s. Nowdays I leave it to a lab, but it can be done very easily at home.
    I'd agree with durlstonp, but I prefer to use Fuji Velvia and Provia. Fuji Sensei is also quite good as an alternative.

andart
    andart  12479 forum posts United Kingdom
    11 Mar 2003 - 7:59 PM

I use slide because it is easier to handle mounted slides when scanning. I also think it iis easier to get a colour match when scanning slide rather than negatives.
    I use Kodak EBX100 for its saturated colours and its cheap (10 rolls for 20 from cameraworld.co.uk and others). I also use Velvia for landscapes, when I have a tripod and I'm sure the subject wont move!
    I used to use Metrolab for processing but now use Fujilab as the quality is consistently very good and the prepaid mailer system makes life very easy, turnaround is usually less than 1 week.

Andy

ella
    ella  1143 forum posts
    12 Mar 2003 - 6:44 PM

Thanks everyone - very helpful

Have now bought a couple of rolls of Fuji Velvia to try (they didn't have a choice so that made the decision easy!) I note it has an ISO rating of 50 so my usual mode of children running about may not suit. I guess I'll try landscapes!

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315591 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 Mar 2003 - 1:19 PM

Jeff, "quicker than downloading digital" ???

I don't think so.

Joe
    Joe  11
    13 Mar 2003 - 2:43 PM

How would I put a photo on the web from slide film? Special scanner???....

andart
    andart  12479 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 Mar 2003 - 4:53 PM

Hi Joe,
    you need a slide scanner or some flat-bed scanners have slide attachments. You would then create a jpeg file to upload to the web. You could have your slides scanned onto CD by the processor (Fujilab and Metro both offer this option).
    Hope this helps
    Andy

Pete
    Pete Site Moderator 1318446 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Mar 2003 - 5:42 PM

You can also use a digital camera with a macro mode. Place the slide on some diffusing material infront of a light source or use a light box. And align the camera so that the slide fills the frame and take a photo.

Jeff Russell
    13 Mar 2003 - 10:30 PM

OK Bri, you win, it was a bit slower. Memories sometimes make things seem better than they where.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.