Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Slide in filter system

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    igknight
    igknight  230 forum posts United States
    29 Nov 2011 - 3:51 PM

I have many filters by B&W and Hoya for my lenses, but am starting to get sick of buying the same filters for the different size lenses. I currently have 4 different sizes, 52, 56, 62, and an 86mm (not as concerned about filters for this lens).

I know I can just buy the bigger filter size and get a step up ring or two, but I would like to go with the slide in filter. I currently would like to get a gradient nd filter, and I think it would work better with being able to pick exactly where the gradient nd is set in on the horizon.

What should I be looking for in a good system?
    How much of a difference does it make by using a resin filter vs a glass filter?
    What companies should I be looking into for a good system?

While price is a concern, I would rather spend the money and get quality now then having to buy the same filters again.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    29 Nov 2011 - 3:51 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue
    saltireblue Site Moderator 43630 forum postssaltireblue vcard Norway23 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Nov 2011 - 4:22 PM

I have a mixture of Lee & Cokin Z series. Can't fault either for quality. And the Z's fit in the Lee filter holder.

darrensmithgbr
    29 Nov 2011 - 4:28 PM

i use cokin filters (the p system is probably a little too small for the 86mm lense) A cheaper option is Kood who do some respectible filters for their price

mikehit
    mikehit  46171 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Nov 2011 - 5:01 PM

I use HiTech filters in a Lee wide angle holder, but I only use them for ND grads - I had the screw-in polarisers I needed before I got those.

Last Modified By mikehit at 29 Nov 2011 - 5:02 PM
    igknight
    29 Nov 2011 - 5:30 PM

Thanks. I was looking at the Lee and Cokin filters, but I kinda like the HiTech ones too. From what I have seen, Lee and HiTech have more filters for their systems.

One thing I don't like about Lee are the holders. I can't seem to find any from the places I visit online to order from (sure there are some that have them in stork or know when they will be). I assume that with Lee you have to buy each part separately? One of the books I was looking at was talking about a hold that has 4-5 slots for filters, one being able to turn for a CP filter. I like the idea of that, but all I could find are parts online. I get the adapter ring having to be bought outside of the holder, but all I seem to find are foundation kits, and all out of stock.

I'll have to take some time and go to my local camera shop and hope they have some of these systems in stock, or someone that knows about them to talk with.

Thanks again.

sitan1
    sitan1  5457 forum posts United Kingdom
    29 Nov 2011 - 6:33 PM

Amazon have all these in stock
    lee filters

At the bottom of the page it shows the foundation kit, adapter ring and polariser adapter as a set.

Last Modified By sitan1 at 29 Nov 2011 - 6:34 PM
    igknight
    29 Nov 2011 - 6:50 PM

Unfortunately I'm in the US, the only one that has it on Amazon's US site has a 77mm adapter with it for roughly 133, compared to the just the foundation kit you linked to for 53.95.

I'll just have to check out other online stores and my local shop when I get out there. I'm more in the looking and comparing part before I take the leap. But thanks.

Jack_Schitt
    29 Nov 2011 - 9:44 PM

why cant you get the high tec holder - much the same as the LEE kit with the exception of a larger gap between first filter slot and holder body ( i beleive)

bfgstew
    bfgstew  7668 forum posts England105 Constructive Critique Points
    29 Nov 2011 - 10:02 PM

You can always make one, I did, maybe not as pretty as a manafactured one but it does the job.

1-90---365---2.jpg

You can also add more slots as required, if need be.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.