Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

slideshow Software

laurie42 7 3 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2013 11:35AM
I have been using pictures to exe for a few years now I was considering upgrading the software but I have also thinking maybe I should change to proshow gold. I would appreciate and feedback from people who have either of these software packages

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KevSB 10 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2013 11:48AM
I have not used Pictures to ex but most I know and I use Proshow gold, Its difficult to tell you what it does or does not do without a comparison of using both, why not download the prosho demo and try it, Its a great bit of software with loads of free downloads and updates and will do more than you ask of it.
droberts 10 100 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2013 11:49AM
Stick with PTE. Superior software. Better quality image rendering
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
5 Feb 2013 12:11PM

Quote:Stick with PTE. Superior software. Better quality image rendering

Not necessarily. PSG V5 is much better than previous.
However, if you're used to PTE then stay with it, although very good I don't think PSG has any serious advantages over PTE apart from being more user friendly.
laurie42 7 3 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2013 12:17PM
Thanks for the advice. It is much appreciated
brian1208 e2
11 10.6k 12 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2013 12:24PM
I'm a long term user of PSG and have just downloaded the trial version of PTE as I have been having a few problems with the shows produced from PSG (mainly in getting them played back on the club PC and sometimes on other peoples' DVD players attached to their TV)

The first thing I have noticed is how much faster PTE renders and produces the finished DVD, I reckon its a least twice as fast. I also think that it is producing better quality images comparing the same show produced by both progs

There's going to be a learning curve to go through but unless I hit any snags I think I shall be buying PTE
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
5 Feb 2013 1:07PM

Quote:Stick with PTE. Superior software. Better quality image rendering

Not doubting the quality of PTE, But....Smile

Been using ProShow Gold for a long time, Never had any problems with image quality, Could be how we use it, Who knows....!!!

Rendering speed wise, Is very dependant on the computer your using, A machine setup for Video editing ie: A powerful machine will allow the software more resources and increase the speed, Very noticeable when using a machine with a multi-core CPU alongside an SSD drive and bags of RAM.

Having said all that, We have been using the " Slideshow " option in Lightroom 4 over the last year, Resultant image quality and rendering time is superb, As with most things the interface takes a bit of getting used to, However its certainly worth looking into if you already have/use Lightroom 4, One thing that LR4 does extremely well is transitions and fit to audio tasks, Other similar soft wares can be a tad flaky in this area.....Sad

Wink
brian1208 e2
5 Feb 2013 1:44PM
Another reason I looked to PTE was that, in additon to the problems I mentioned above it appears to be becoming the default AV programme for Southern Fed and SAPA which my camera club belongs

Still not made my mind up yet though (takes longer when you get aged Wink )
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
5 Feb 2013 2:03PM

Quote:Been using ProShow Gold for a long time, Never had any problems with image quality, Could be how we use it, Who knows....!!!

It is generally accepted within the AV world that PTE produces sharper & crisper images than PSG.
There is a good reason why 99% of the top AV workers use PTE, even though it's not the easiest program to work with.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
5 Feb 2013 3:33PM

Quote:
However, if you're used to PTE then stay with it, although very good I don't think PSG has any serious advantages over PTE apart from being more user friendly.

That's probably good advice. The latest version of PSG (5.03...) is certainly as good as (or better than) PTE and it is far more intuitive to use. But if you have already mastered PTE then I don't think the benefits of PSG make it worth changing horses.

User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
5 Feb 2013 3:37PM

Quote:It is generally accepted within the AV world that PTE produces sharper & crisper images than PSG. There is a good reason why 99% of the top AV workers use PTE, even though it's not the easiest program to work with

Wow some very bold claims. Who told you this and have you got anything whatsoever to back that up?
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
5 Feb 2013 4:23PM

Quote:Wow some very bold claims. Who told you this and have you got anything whatsoever to back that up?

Ask any serious AV worker which program they use & its odds on it will be PTE.
If you don't believe me speak to Howard Gregory, Keith Leedham, Howard Bagshaw, Richard Brown Jeff Scott, Colin Balls, Linda & Edgar Gibbs, to name a few.
Almost every sequence shown at the RPS International AV weekend in Cirencester, & the Great Northern AV w/e at Wilmsow was made on PTE.
The majority of Continental workers in AV use PTE although some do use another program, the name of which escapes me at the moment.
brian1208 e2
5 Feb 2013 4:38PM
That's certainly the message I am getting Adrian, having recently joined IAC last year
adrian_w e2
7 3.4k 4 Scotland
5 Feb 2013 4:49PM
Brian, what benefits do you see in membership of the IAC apart from the music copyright licences?
brian1208 e2
5 Feb 2013 5:17PM
It was the copyright licenses I joined for but I find the magazine has the odd bit and piece that's interesting as well

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.