Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Slik 700 DX vs. Manfrotto 294A3 vs. Manfrotto 055XPROB

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Tonemap
    2 Jan 2014 - 8:03 PM

Hi!

I am buying a new tripod and I don't one which one to choose from the following three:

1) Slik PRO 700 DX with PRO 700 DX pan head, 130 euros

Slik PRO 700 DX Tripod

Slik PRO 700 DX pan head

2) Manfrotto Kit MK294A3 with D3RC2 pan head, 130 euros

Manfrotto kit

3) Manfrotto 055XPROB with 804RC2 pan head, 230 euros

Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod

Manfrotto 804RC2 pan head

Most of the time I take food/product/art photos, portraits and some night / landscape photos outdoors - it should be able to cope with winter in Finland Smile Weight of camera & lens is less than 2 kg.

I have tested only number 2, manfrottos kit, in a department store and it seemed to be ok. I guess Slik should be at least on par with it. 055XPROB is interesting (min and max height are very nice) and I thought, that maybe it would be the best choise and value for money in the long run. It's hard to say, because I cannot compare them in a shop.

Can you help me with useful opinions / experiences?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Jan 2014 - 8:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

scottishphototours

You can't go wrong with Manfrotto - and I'd go with option 3 as the pan/tilt head will be very useful for food/product type work.

Trev_B
    Trev_B e2 Member 7101 forum postsTrev_B vcard England63 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Jan 2014 - 10:27 PM

I use the Manfrotto 055XPROB, not the lightest, but very sturdy and represents good value.

Pan and tilt heads are really designed for video or moving subjects, my 055XPROB is coupled with the MN393, although sold as a monopod head works extremely well on a tripod and provides good support for heavy cameras and lenses. It provides easy vertical and horizontal adjustment without the need to loosed and tighten clamps.

Trev

derekhansen
    derekhansen e2 Member 5179 forum postsderekhansen vcard United Kingdom21 Constructive Critique Points
    3 Jan 2014 - 7:38 AM

I have the 055XPROB Carbon fiber version with the manfrotto 410 geared head. I take mainly landscape images. Apart from the weight the advantage of the cf is that unlike aluminum it does not corrode or expand as a material and therefore does not sieze up. The geared head is micro adjustable in all 3 directions. This combination may be outside your budget but is worth saving for. The geared head in particular is something I would never change.

Last Modified By derekhansen at 3 Jan 2014 - 7:40 AM
    steve486
    steve486  3126 forum posts United Kingdom
    3 Jan 2014 - 9:31 AM

iv got the 055proxb with a rc4 ball head, it takes a ds2+ 70-200 zoom, its heavy but bulletproof combi.

johnkennedy

I'd go for the kit http://www.manfrotto.com/294-aluminum-kit-tripod-3-sections-with-3-way-head-qr

KevinEllison
    KevinEllison e2 Member 72497 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
    3 Jan 2014 - 9:59 PM

I'm similar to DerekH above, the 055XPROB is excellent - though I have the alloy version, not fibre - but not had corrosion problems, the legs are all black coated. If I know I'm likely to be engaged in serious mud, sand water etc. I drag out the old Benbo...

Note the centre column which, extended up and bent over, offers a horizontal bar feature too, good for very low level work..

Likewise the Manfrotto 410 geared head, agree again with Derek's comments, wouldn't be without it - fast adjustment - then "micro" adjustment which is solid as you like - no ballhead type droop/creep...yes, good ones can be good, but I still prefer the "controlled" movement I feel the 410 gives..

EOS_Snapper
    5 Jan 2014 - 2:36 PM

I have the 055XPROB and love it, the head you specify is not generally used for photography it's a video head.
    Just looked on ebay and found the 055XPROB; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manfrotto-055XPROB-Pro-Tripod-Black-UK-Seller-/1212479...
    This is the head I use; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Manfrotto-222-Joystick-Tripod-Head-with-RC2-Quick-Rele...
    In my opinion this is a great set-up.

Tonemap
    3 Feb 2014 - 7:24 PM

Thanks guys for advice! I will buy tomorrow 055XPROB and 410 geared head.

KevinEllison
    KevinEllison e2 Member 72497 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
    3 Feb 2014 - 10:41 PM

good....! think you'll like it...well I would wouldn't I...! seriously though, it's solid kit...

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.