Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

SLIK 88 Tripod New Head?

BernieS e2
6 243 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2010 7:17PM
Evening All,

I have just been given a SLIK 88 tripod - a solid if not new piece of kit.

However, the camera mounting plate is missing from the head & I can't find a new one on t'interweb. Several places have the quick release post, but not the plate that the camera actually sits on.

Do any of the current SLIK heads fit onto this particular piece of kit? The legs are in good condition, so I'm happy to buy a new head if that's possible.

Thanks,

Bernie

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

BernieS e2
6 243 United Kingdom
18 Nov 2010 7:31PM
Alternatively, will a Manfrotto head fit on these legs?

Just thinking outside the box!! Wink
eric6 e2
6 21 Greece
21 Dec 2010 8:26PM
To answer your question. I have a Slick 88, great tripod in it's day. and yes a Manfrotto head will fit. I can't remember if I had to use a 3/8 to 1/4 adaptor. The 88 had a pan & tilt head, I fitted a ball & socket. Still going strong.
Eric
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
21 Dec 2010 9:46PM
When you say the camera plate is missing, what exactly do you mean?

Is it just the very top section of the pan and tilt head, or is it the whole head (which on the 88 is a beautifully engineered, complex affair including a circular spirit level.

If it is only the camera plate and quick release mechanism, I can't see that there will be any way of replacing it with anything other than the exact Slik part.
BernieS e2
6 243 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2011 9:08PM
LeftForum - what is missing is the actual mounting plate - the piece with the moulded in "rubber" grips to hold the camera tight.

I found one web-site which claimed to have the plate in stock, & so I ordered one - however what arrived was the quick release mounting post, & so far I have been unable to find the mounting plate anywhere - which is why I am looking at replacing the head with a modern equivalent.

eric6 - thanks for the info, most helpful.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
11 Jan 2011 10:49PM
PM me and I'll send you the bit you need.
25 Nov 2012 11:18AM
Hi LeftForum, I know this is an old link, but I just sent you a PM.
Regards, Rod

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.