Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Slimbridge Kingfisher hide

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Outlander
    Outlander  472 forum posts
    28 Jun 2011 - 8:34 AM

Hey Folks,just a heads up if any of you folks thinking of a visit to Slimbridge,listed on their Daily Activities is the Kingfisher hide,where you can Quote" Get close to wildlife in our family friendly hide See our Kingfishers flying to and from their nest through out summer",
    well it was a nice sunny day yesterday so off we went!
    Only when you get there they ain`t any,seems the cold weather last winter finished them off and no fishers have been seen this year,so be warned if kingfishers are on your radar dont go to Slimbridge.
    You think they might tell folks this before they pay their pay their money then get to the hide to read the notice that they ain`t any.
    Plenty of others critters to see but that ain`t the point.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    28 Jun 2011 - 8:34 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Phatboy
    Phatboy  7 United Kingdom
    28 Jun 2011 - 8:51 AM

I was down there a few weeks ago and although I didn't see it, a kingfisher was sighted. But like you I was a bit disappointed that they weren't nesting in the usual spot.
    We were however treated to a great flyby from a group of eight Snow-geese. I believe they stayed around for a few days.
    But I agree with you it would have been nice to get some good views from the "Kingfisher" hide.

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315548 forum posts England
    28 Jun 2011 - 10:01 AM

I assumed that it was called the Kingfisher Hide because there is a kingfisher nailed to the front Smile

I agree it would be nice to have proper information on kingfisher sighting opportunities, but Slimbridge is a most excellent place to visit anyway.

gingerdelight
    28 Jun 2011 - 10:35 AM

[quote]I assumed that it was called the Kingfisher Hide because there is a kingfisher nailed to the front Smile[quote]

That would explain why there aren't any left then!! Wink Wink Wink

Chrism8
    Chrism8  7743 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
    28 Jun 2011 - 5:05 PM

On the WWT web site for each venue, you can look at recent sightings, Slimbridge is better than most at updating this almost daily.

samfurlong
    29 Jun 2011 - 11:36 AM

I love Slimbridge I really do , BUT ... the kingfisher hide is simply too far away from the nest hole for photography unless you either use one of those spotting scopes with an adapter or (as I hav ein the past) use an 800mm lens with a 1.4 convertor.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.