Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Slimbridge Kingfisher hide

Outlander 5 73
28 Jun 2011 8:34AM
Hey Folks,just a heads up if any of you folks thinking of a visit to Slimbridge,listed on their Daily Activities is the Kingfisher hide,where you can Quote" Get close to wildlife in our family friendly hide See our Kingfishers flying to and from their nest through out summer",
well it was a nice sunny day yesterday so off we went!
Only when you get there they ain`t any,seems the cold weather last winter finished them off and no fishers have been seen this year,so be warned if kingfishers are on your radar dont go to Slimbridge.
You think they might tell folks this before they pay their pay their money then get to the hide to read the notice that they ain`t any.
Plenty of others critters to see but that ain`t the point.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Phatboy 7 7 United Kingdom
28 Jun 2011 8:51AM
I was down there a few weeks ago and although I didn't see it, a kingfisher was sighted. But like you I was a bit disappointed that they weren't nesting in the usual spot.
We were however treated to a great flyby from a group of eight Snow-geese. I believe they stayed around for a few days.
But I agree with you it would have been nice to get some good views from the "Kingfisher" hide.
Big Bri 13 15.7k United Kingdom
28 Jun 2011 10:01AM
I assumed that it was called the Kingfisher Hide because there is a kingfisher nailed to the front Smile

I agree it would be nice to have proper information on kingfisher sighting opportunities, but Slimbridge is a most excellent place to visit anyway.
gingerdelight 8 298 11 United Kingdom
28 Jun 2011 10:35AM

Quote:I assumed that it was called the Kingfisher Hide because there is a kingfisher nailed to the front Smile
Quote:

That would explain why there aren't any left then!! Wink Wink Wink

Chrism8 8 752 14 England
28 Jun 2011 5:05PM
On the WWT web site for each venue, you can look at recent sightings, Slimbridge is better than most at updating this almost daily.
samfurlong 8 2.5k United Kingdom
29 Jun 2011 11:36AM
I love Slimbridge I really do , BUT ... the kingfisher hide is simply too far away from the nest hole for photography unless you either use one of those spotting scopes with an adapter or (as I hav ein the past) use an 800mm lens with a 1.4 convertor.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.