Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Slippery Quick Release

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Tony_M
    Tony_M  10342 forum posts England
    16 Sep 2005 - 12:52 AM

Is there a simple way to strengthen the bond between a camera baseplate and a tripod quick release plate?

A quick forum search revealed quite a few people struggle with a camera rotating on a tripod head, both quick release and traditional types. I wasn't paticularly impressed with the connection between the cork pad on my new gitzo Q/R plate and my 350D.

Is extra-tightening of the 1/4" screw the only option? (apart from superglue!)

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Sep 2005 - 12:52 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

sillyconguru
    16 Sep 2005 - 1:03 AM

I assume you experience this problem when the camera is in portrait format with a fairly long lens attached.

You can get "L" brackets to enable the platform to remain horizontal even when the camere is vertical, but they cost about 100. These brackets "snuggle" the baseplate, which holds the camera securely.

More expensive long lenses generally have tripod mounts buil-in, these rotate allowing the tripod platform to remain horizontal.

It is a pity that stills camera manufacturers don't make a provision for a locking pin in the baseplate, video cameras have this even though they don't really need it.

barnowl
    barnowl  9697 forum posts
    16 Sep 2005 - 1:08 AM

A rubber pad seems to work better. Just tried it now and with moderate tightening of the screw I could not twist the camera on the plate. Will try it with a long lens and see what happens.

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315590 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Sep 2005 - 1:26 AM

Don't know if this helps, but on my Manfrotto, I bought a new QR plate which has an extra bit that you slide up to the back of the camera when tightening it on - this piece can only move forwards and backwards, so when it is butted up against the back of the camera it stops the camera twisting. Gitzo may do something similar.
    If not, shoulda boughta manfrotto Wink

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1023042 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Sep 2005 - 1:36 AM

for a quick fix I'd get rid of the cheap, nasty cork and go with rubber pad. Always found a cork pad on something that could be used outside an odd addition.

Tony_M
    16 Sep 2005 - 1:46 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I was wondering if I could peel off the cork and attach a rubber pad instead. I'm not using a particularly heavy lens, but I could get a tripod collar for it to help the weight distribution.

Also wondered if it would help to attach a rubber pad to the camera baseplate as that looks more slippery than the Q/R plate!

I originally looked at manfrotto, but preferred the gitzo off-centre head.

barnowl
    16 Sep 2005 - 2:01 AM

Tried it with a 300mm lens and was ok but had to tighten it a bit more than usual. Must put a lot of strain on the lens mount though. A collar is much better if you can get one. Have heard of 20D's having the connections broken between the extra grip and the camera with heavy unsupported lens on them.Not broken off I hasten to add but just lost contact with the ones on the camera.

User_Removed
    16 Sep 2005 - 2:05 AM

To be honest, I would never fit a camera with a long lens (i.e. the 300mm you mention) attached to a tripod using the cameras tripod mount. You are never going to get it really stable never mind the stress on the camera/lens coupling.

From a stability point of view, you are almost better off hand holding rather than do that

barnowl
    16 Sep 2005 - 2:24 AM

Barrie you are right. The balance is much better attached to the collar. I also find it easier to switch from landscape to portrait. Canons collar release makes this easy.

Tony_M
    16 Sep 2005 - 2:52 AM

I'm only using the 700g 70-200f4 which isn't supplied with a collar. I'll look out for a second-hand one.

Thanks for the warning about broken connections. I generally use the extra grip when hand-holding the camera. Not sure if I want to remove it each time I attach the camera to a tripod.

barnowl
    16 Sep 2005 - 3:04 AM

Have to admit the canon collar is a bit expensive. Apparently it is the same collar as the 300mm f4. It must refer to the non IS one because the collar from the IS version definitely does not fit.

Tony_M
    16 Sep 2005 - 6:27 AM

I don't think I'll be buying the 300f4 just to get the collar! If only it was the same as the 100mm macro collar - I'm looking for one of those too.

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315590 forum posts United Kingdom
    16 Sep 2005 - 6:42 AM

You can get a collar for the 100mm macro ?

excellent

btw,
    I just ordered a 300mm F4 - I'll sell you the collar. How does 940 quid sound Wink

Tony_M
    16 Sep 2005 - 9:17 AM

No thanks, I can buy my own for that price and get a free lens into the bargain!

Tripod Mount Ring B(B) comes with an adaptor for the 100 macro, and also fits the 180 macro and 1-5x macro without the adaptor. Canon UK seem to hold only a few in stock at any time, and cost about 80. I've seen a second-hand one advertised for 50.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.