Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Slow connection to EPZ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110310 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2011 - 11:36 AM

I haven't seen anyone else report this but wondered if anyone else was having problems making the connection to EPZ?

Once I'm in its fairly fast but is taking around 30 secs+ to make the initial link.

I'm not having problems with any other website.

Win 7 64 bit with IE8 via Virgin 20mb broadband

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Feb 2011 - 11:36 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139503 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2011 - 11:42 AM

Login does seem to be very slow.

MrGoatsmilk
23 Feb 2011 - 12:25 PM

No problems here, login was couple of seconds at most. Site is running fast for me via BT Infinity

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53651 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2011 - 12:33 PM

Its been Good and not so good, but never 30secs - maybe 5 secs for me once or twice in the last few days.
Long initial lookups can be DNS issues, but local to you or Virgin - i don't know.
it can also be AV tools validating the link is good etc.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 104025 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland25 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2011 - 12:48 PM

I have that problem too (with BT Broadband)..once first connection is made everything then speeds up Smile

fraser
fraser  10631 forum posts Scotland14 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2011 - 12:54 PM

I access the site from my office at lunchtime and occasionally when I need a break. The internet speed to my office is disgracefully slow (I say disgracefully because it is located in a modern business park in an area sold as a high technology hub) so there is some excuse but EPZ is by far the slowest of the sites that I visit, particularly when I want a look at the gallery. So much so that I have been visiting fewer and fewer times of late (since the introduction of the v5 gallery). Apparently BT have no plans to introduce their superfast internet system here, so I'm not holding my breath.

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
23 Feb 2011 - 12:57 PM

It takes ages using Safari or Firefox or Chrome.

Boyd
Boyd  1011213 forum posts Wales11 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2011 - 12:59 PM

Quote: ..once first connection is made everything then speeds up

That's what I find too - could it be the automatic logging in?

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
23 Feb 2011 - 1:01 PM

Takes a long time to log in + up-load a photo.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72367 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
23 Feb 2011 - 1:01 PM

For us to locate any problems on our end we really are going to need more information. Ideally, what stage of your connection to the site is slow initially? Is it the looking up, connecting to or downloading? In the bottom left corner of your browser should tell you.

Also, it's best if you submit a report and ideally with a tracert at the time the problem is occuring.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
23 Feb 2011 - 1:05 PM

"In the bottom left corner of your browser should tell you." What do you mean?

What is a "tracert"? How to get one?

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72367 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
23 Feb 2011 - 1:16 PM

Quote: "In the bottom left corner of your browser should tell you." What do you mean?

Like this:
3-untitled-2.jpg

Quote: What is a "tracert"? How to get one?

A tracert (short for traceroute), shows us the path of your connection from your computer to ephotozine. It allows to see if there is a problem somewhere along the network, which would be an issue that might need sorting with your ISP.

Here is how to do one: http://support.verio.com/documents/view_article.cfm?doc_id=3743

Just some of the stuff we like to rule out first.

Last Modified By davidburleson at 23 Feb 2011 - 1:18 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139503 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2011 - 1:20 PM

Quote: What is a "tracert"? How to get one?

I believe they sell tracerts at Tescos these days. Smile

Or it may be something like this. Wink

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
23 Feb 2011 - 1:22 PM

OK. Thanks. I'll have a look later on and make a report with info from tracert.
I have no problem with any other sites (photographic or not)

Got this message while trying to look at the forum:
The connection has timed out
The server at www.ephotozine.com is taking too long to respond.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

davidburleson
23 Feb 2011 - 1:26 PM

Yes, a Tracert in these cases would be very handy. The problem is that you need to run a tracert right at the moment of the problem otherwise it may not show the problem that is occurring.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.