Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Slow connection to EPZ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2011 - 1:29 PM

Ok, I did a tracert (max 30 hops): hops 8-30 inclusive returned "Request timed out".

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Feb 2011 - 1:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
23 Feb 2011 - 1:32 PM

What was the IP address involved at hop 8 CB?

justin c
justin c  104517 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2011 - 1:32 PM

Logging on to Ephotozine seems quick enough but when I click on to My Portfolio it's taking 11 seconds SadSadSad and that's on a good day. Normally I just exit the site in frustration. The site itself is superb and the amount of hard work that goes into it is clearly evident, however, the performance side of things is extremely frustrating and always has been for as long as I can remember, which is a real shame. There's been short periods where the speed seems to be ok, but sadly it's always very short lived.
I'm running Windows 7 64 bit, Firefox and 10MB broadband. I don't have problems with any other websites and I've had my broadband speed checked and it's delivering 100% what it's supposed to with regards upload and download speed.
I've never bothered reporting the issue as any solution always seem to temporary and I've just accepted that's the way Ephotozine is, i.e. sometimes it works ok, usually it doesn't Sad
If the problem ever gets permanently resolved, it'll make a good site into a great one Smile

Last Modified By justin c at 23 Feb 2011 - 1:34 PM
Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2011 - 1:37 PM

Quote: What was the IP address involved at hop 8 CB?

User_Removed
23 Feb 2011 - 1:55 PM

Then your circuit has a problem when reaching this router CB:

Quote: IP Address 193.151.124.153
Host ge-0-0-0-0.br01.ix01.lon.uk.as30933.net
Location GB GB, United Kingdom
City -, - -
Organization Commercial Collocation Ltd.
ISP Commercial Collocation Ltd.
AS Number AS30933 KDA Web Services Ltd. / AS30933.net

Carabosse
23 Feb 2011 - 2:04 PM

I have since done tracerts on a few other sites I regularly visit................ no timeouts at all.

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
23 Feb 2011 - 2:17 PM

David, the link for the tracert is for Windows. I use a Mac. Is the procedure different?
I don't have a clue about computers.

Last Modified By JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY at 23 Feb 2011 - 2:17 PM
davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72337 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
23 Feb 2011 - 3:58 PM

Here is how to do it on a Mac: http://support.verio.com/documents/view_article.cfm?doc_id=3693

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
23 Feb 2011 - 4:51 PM

Dave, I followed the instructions on the site you suggested but I did not get any info about trace route.

I had problems to get into EPZ and got this message:

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in /home2/ephoto/ephotozine.com/v5/libs/php/epzfunctions.php on line 89

I'm off for a little while as it's quite frustrating waiting for nothing to happen.

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
23 Feb 2011 - 6:19 PM

Me again!
It took a lot less time just now to access the Recent Forum than earlier today. Could someone tell me EPZ network address so I could could do a tracert as I finally found out how to do it (not at all as dave's link suggested though). Thanks.

Last Modified By JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY at 23 Feb 2011 - 6:20 PM
tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85907 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2011 - 10:41 PM

I recall asking for the method of carrying out a trace in the V5 upgrade thread, for those who did not how to.

A tad late methinks

Alan_Coles
23 Feb 2011 - 10:42 PM

Been slow for days. Sad

Carabosse
24 Feb 2011 - 12:39 AM

Still getting the timeouts on tracert, although the site seems a bit quicker.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72337 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
24 Feb 2011 - 9:32 AM

Quote: Still getting the timeouts on tracert, although the site seems a bit quicker.

I'm confirming with our server admins, but last time this was raised with them I was told that it was a security measure taken to prevent certain forms of hacking and DoS attacks and that it should not affect the actual performance of the connection to the site whatsoever.

Quote: Could someone tell me EPZ network address

www.ephotozine.com should do the trick

Quote: Been slow for days.

It would be really helpful if anyone who experiences performance issues with the site that they submit a report to us. 9/10 times we don't experience any problems on our end and without someone actually saying that they are having problems, we are totally un aware of the problem. We aren't mind readers Wink

davidburleson
24 Feb 2011 - 9:59 AM

Quote: Still getting the timeouts on tracert, although the site seems a bit quicker.

Had a chat with our server admin and managed to let them allow tracert and ping results through the firewall which originally gave the timeouts on these results. So now the results of these 2 tests should return better results.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.