Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Slow start-up with anti virus s/ware

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72215 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Apr 2013 - 12:43 PM

Since installing Kaspersky anti virus s/ware, the start up time on my pc has become significantly longer,
    is this normal, and why is it so?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    30 Apr 2013 - 12:43 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coventryphotog
    Coventryphotog Junior Member 1149 forum posts United Kingdom
    30 Apr 2013 - 1:25 PM

The AV software is most likely doing a low level check on essential files during startup

tomcat
    tomcat e2 Member 85912 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Apr 2013 - 7:17 PM

Could always try Webroot

MartinBrown
    MartinBrown e2 Member 4124 forum postsMartinBrown vcard England
    30 Apr 2013 - 7:19 PM

Most AV will, as its monitoring all your files and in/out network connections. The best I have found is Avastfree and its very lightweight on system resources. It also has a feature like most AV software that you can create rules to allow certain stuff through without being checked or block certain connections.

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72215 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom68 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Apr 2013 - 7:28 PM

Thanks for the comments - I'm happy to run with the software I'm using,
    just wondered why it added time at start-up.

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114499 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Apr 2013 - 8:09 PM

Kaspersky checks your start up ini. files, memory and the boot sector of your hard drive/s for root-kit viruses, trojans, malware and such like, this is why it takes a little longer for your system to boot up. It's thorough, but can cause your system to slow down on start up, especially if you've an older system.

arhb
    30 Apr 2013 - 9:31 PM

Thanks Ade - sounds like it's worth living with...

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    30 Apr 2013 - 10:30 PM

I go and make a cup of tea whilst my PC starts up! Wink

I use Avast and I'm pretty sure that slows down the initial start, but I consider it a small price to pay.

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
    1 May 2013 - 8:17 AM

I was fed up with my boot time, so I looked into this recently. There are many reasons for slowing down boot up, but I wouldn't have thought AV would increase it significantly. I use Kaspersky as well, and my boot time is around 80 seconds.
    I have a new i7 laptop running Windows 8, and the boot time from cold is 26 seconds. I installed AVG free on there and it made no difference at all.

Other things that increase boot time are the amount of services that are loading up (some of these can be set to "delayed start", the amount of programs that get run at startup (iTune, Adobe reader etc), the amount of fonts that the system loads, and the amount of time it takes to acquire an IP address off your router.....

digicammad
    digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    1 May 2013 - 8:20 AM

I disable all the non-essential services, like Adobe reader, etc. They are usually just there to make that particular software load more quickly or look for updates.

Ian

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315557 forum posts England
    1 May 2013 - 8:35 AM

Same here. And iTunes, apple's "bonjour" service, (or as I call it, "au revoir"), quicktime, various Microsoft Office things.

Also use the BIOS to disable any hardware that you don't use, for instance my BIOS had 3.5" floppy disk enabled, even though there isn't one in my machine, so disabling that speeds up the booting. Also you might give your PC a static IP address, that might shave off a few more milliseconds Smile

Ade_Osman
    Ade_Osman e2 Member 114499 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
    1 May 2013 - 9:39 AM

It all depends on the machine you have really......I've a 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM, plus 2x 2TB HD's and an overclocked Intel i7 processor amongst other bits and bobs and niceties. The machine boots from the SSD which contains all my Windows files including the AntiVirus software, the machine rarely gets switched off as it's tied into the CCTV that covers the hedgehogs in the garden, however I just tried it out of interest and it took 15 seconds from cold, but I'm a geek who had more money than sense when I bought the machine Blush

I also run CCleaner4 which now has a rather nifty utility built into it that will tell you all the programs that run at startup and will allow you to disable them is you so desire. There's a raft full of other programs that will do the same, but as Bri quite rightly points out iTunes, Quicktime and a lot of the Adobe programs Lightroom included (as it has an auto-updater built into it) can and will slow a system down at start up quite significantly.

Kaspersky/Avast and a lot of other anti-virus programs though will slow the machine down before windows actually starts to load while it checks the BIOS and memory for problems just after the POST stage of booting your machine up.

Bri's other tip about disabling unnecessary drives in the BIOS is also correct and will speed things up, however it's not something I'd recommend to anybody unless they know what they're doing as changing the settings in the BIOS can lead to all manner of different problems if you have a hiccup!

arhb
    1 May 2013 - 5:58 PM

Thanks again for the replies -
    I had CCleaner fitted to my machine since new, and have not used it for a while, so I will have a look at upgrading that to #4, and then give it a whirl.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.