Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Slow write times

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ukuwi
    ukuwi  10476 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Feb 2004 - 2:30 PM

Hi all, I have a Olympus E20 and my problem is the long time it takes to write an image to my compact flash card, I have purchased a Ultra II from sandisk wich is supposed to be 65x with a write time of something like 9mb a second (hope thats correct) but its no different from the bog standard one from Jessops, over 1 minute to write a 16mb file, so I take nearly all my shots at a low res as the buffer only holds 5 photos, I nedd faster write times as I wish to start portrait photography of children who have low patience, apart from changing my camera (not an option) is there anything else I can do? many thanks for any suggestions.
    Best Regards
    Tony Beadle

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    2 Feb 2004 - 2:30 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
    2 Feb 2004 - 3:12 PM

Hi Tony

I can't be helpful about this specific camera as I have never even seen one but generally, it is the camera and CF card in combination that will govern the write speed.

It's a bit like saying - "my Ferrari does 0-60 in 4 seconds and it uses petrol so if I put the same petrol in my transit van, it will also do 0-60 in 4 seconds".

To be honest, there is nothing much you can do about it. The SanDisk Ultra II are very good disks and I use them all the time. They do have a very fast write time with my Canon 1Ds but then of course that is part of what you are paying for with a camera like this.

Perhaps not the answer you are hoping for but I am afraid there is not much if anything you can do about it

Barrie

bppowell
    bppowell  122125 forum posts England2 Constructive Critique Points
    2 Feb 2004 - 3:34 PM

I have used the E20 for weddings and not had any problems. Yes it is slow, change to RAW when doing the portraits. You can take about 5 shots in very quick time and then regroup for the 3 minutes it takes to download. The camera should not be making you wait after only one shot even in tiff mode, you should be able to take one shot about every 45 seconds and not wait at all.

Barry

ukuwi
    2 Feb 2004 - 4:23 PM

Thank you Barrie and Barry for your comments and I will test the raw format idea and see if it saves me a few seconds, I am interested in how you compare your E1 to the E20 you used, does it still have slow write times?
    Thank you both
    Tony

bppowell
    2 Feb 2004 - 5:05 PM

The E1 I have have only had for a month, so far it is better in all departments. The drawbacks are,
    1) you cannot take shots through the LCD screen.

sleedale
    sleedale  11
    2 Feb 2004 - 6:05 PM

Hi all, I too suffer from the slow write times on the E20 - I tend to use jpeg, then open and convert to TIFF and save to CD so I don't lose any information, hopefully. I also try RAW, but find the conversion afterwards so time consuming, why oh why isn't there a way of batch converting? I think the new cards have been designed with the newer cameras, so 'old' models can't benefit - it's a shame we can't upgrade the in camera programming!
    On the subject of the E1 - is it really that much better in all aspects? Is it worth the large price tag? Is the new D70 a competitor, if not, why not?
    Sue L

bppowell
    2 Feb 2004 - 9:13 PM

I am not sure that the price is so bad when it is compared against other Digital SLR camera's of the same build and quality.
    I am not sorry that I have upgraded, only sorry that I cannot get a fair price for the E20 and parts that I have. I now have to try and get enough work over the next three years to pay back the 3000 I have invested in the upgrade.

There is a program called orfsuite (freeware) that allows you to do batch processing, I use it all the time. It takes a bit of getting used to as it is a little bit hard to learn, well worth the effort needed as it will save your hours of work.

Barry

ukuwi
    2 Feb 2004 - 10:39 PM

Well Barry that was top info, you have saved me about 15 seconds per file which all mount up, I just hope I can see the difference or I will go back to low res, there must be a flaw in the camera's rom as at 9 mb a sec it should only take two seconds to write a file back to the card, I downloaded Orfsuite which seems to be a capable little program, as I am not really a photoshop fan, many thanks to one and all

D0118091
    D0118091  1157 forum posts
    3 Feb 2004 - 5:26 PM

Hi Tony,
    I have had the E20 for about a year now I have found the more I use it the more I love it .The build quality is very good and the handling is great and very easy to use.
    I only ever shot in raw mode for most of my work is bird photography .The images are as good as my mates 10D and I print at A4 A3 size,
    Barry is right if you shot in raw it is better.
    For batch converting I now use bibble (you have to pay for the full version ) which I find better than orfsuit.
    It is slow write times on the E20 and I have missed many good shots because of this but I have learnt to live with it for now.
    I am sure that Olympus could do something about this and the E20 would be a hard camera to match at the price .
    Mick

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.