Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

SLT to go next year

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

kodachrome
4 Sep 2013 - 5:18 PM

Any one got ideas to as to what Sony might replace the SLT system with on A Mount next year.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Sep 2013 - 5:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
4 Sep 2013 - 8:09 PM

A decent camera phone if they have any sense!! Grin

Sales of all types of digital cameras have been badly hit by the smartphone revolution: compacts, DSLRs, DSLTs and CSCs.

When even the boss of EPZ has admitted to regularly using his iPhone for photography, you know the writing is on the wall. Wink

kodachrome
5 Sep 2013 - 8:23 AM

Doesn't look to good then.
Will Canikon and Pentax survive long term by staying with DSLR cameras?
Olympus seem to be making the transition to mirrorless but both them and Panasonic are not having the sucess they thought they would get on the world market.
I think Sony could well take the lead here with new [rumoured] mirrorless technology next year. Whether that helps a declining DSLR market, who knows.

MichaelMelb_AU

I would not think that Canon and Nikon will budge with their DSLRs. Though they may follow the common fashion if see it profitable enough, apparently at the moment it is not.
I am grateful to mobile phone makers that they lured away from DSLR and compact market the "artists" those were never bothered to use cameras full potential. This should see half-baked "entry level" market shrinking a bit with creating incentives for camera makers to pay more attention to what an enthusiast wants. I see Canon's EOS7D as a founder of this trend.
As for Olympus and Panasonic - they tried honestly to get there with DSLRs, but failed spectacularly. No wonder they create a new niche for themselves. Should it bother Canikon though? Hardly so - they were perfectly capable ignoring amateurs lust for "changeable optics compact" for quite some time now. If Sony chooses Canon or Panasonic way - we will see, but considering their long rivalry with the latter one I should not be too surprised to see M4/3 Sony coming soon enough. That would be nice replacement for entry level SLTsSmile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2013 - 2:03 PM

Quote: I should not be too surprised to see M4/3 Sony coming soon enough. That would be nice replacement for entry level SLTs

Nice thought but Sony already have their NEX system CSCs. Joining the M4/3 consortium would mean working alongside their deadly rival Panasonic; so can't see this realistically happening

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 1110150 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2013 - 2:30 PM

Quote: they tried honestly to get there with DSLRs, but failed spectacularly

What an excellent bit of hyperbole - nice one Mike Tongue

kodachrome
5 Sep 2013 - 5:07 PM

I think for Sony to change their mount to M/4/3 would be a major investment/engineering headache as it means totally new body designs.
Also we must not forget that Sony are the largest share holder in Olympus and probably have some string pulling influence.
Also well forgotten now was the M/4/3 consortium where Oly, Panny and Fuji and I think one other who I forget, signed up to the M/4/3 principle on the out set.

Sony probably in their now anti M/4/3 stance launched the DSLR shape A3000 using the NEX mount. There is more of that to come so I cannot see them joining the M/4/3 club.
Of course we could all be wrong and in for a big surprise.

petebfrance
5 Sep 2013 - 5:26 PM

I thought the main driver behind the replacement of SLTs was because of 'on chip' (on sensor? whatever) phase detection being available rather than the state of the market, although of course the latter always affects thing. With on chip (sensor..) phase detection there is no need for the 'pellicle mirror' (as I remember it from the original Canon) - good-bye mirror box.....
The A3000 Sony have introduced is an interesting 'conundrum'. Are they quietly abandoning the A mount? Are they planning to produce more FF A mount cameras? Are they planning to produce FF NEX cameras? All seems a bit in the air at the moment....

kodachrome
5 Sep 2013 - 6:24 PM

There seems to be some 'skullduggery going on at Sony. Olympus pulled a fast one on the 4/3 users, so why shouldn't sony with NEX DSLR's.
Another rumour has suggested that they are going to make FF much smaller and more available price wise, APS-C sort of prices.
My personal belief and I could be wrong, is SLT will stay as it is a very good system but needs some more fine tuning.

MichaelMelb_AU
5 Sep 2013 - 11:01 PM

Quote: they tried honestly to get there with DSLRs, but failed spectacularly

What an excellent bit of hyperbole - nice one Mike Tongue

Everything is judged by result - any current DSLR model from Olympus? Yes, E-PM2 and OM_D. TongueTongueWinkSmileSmile

cathal
cathal  9492 forum posts Ireland4 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2013 - 4:19 PM

The EP and OMD lines from Olympus, as well as their rivals from Panasonic, and of course others such as the SONY NEX range, are NOT SLR camera. They are single lens, yes, but not reflex. One of the major space savings made with micro four thirds was achieved by removing the mirror box and pentaprism... the reflex part of the camera.

Carabosse
6 Sep 2013 - 4:24 PM

Quite simply CSC (M4/3, NEX) etc is a DSLR without a flapping mirror which means an EVF rather than an OVF.

They can be made smaller because of this. Technically there is no reason why full-frame CSC could not be made but this would lose the advantages of compactness.

mikehit
mikehit  46103 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
6 Sep 2013 - 5:07 PM

Quote: Quite simply CSC (M4/3, NEX) etc is a DSLR without a flapping mirror which means an EVF rather than an OVF.

They can be made smaller because of this. Technically there is no reason why full-frame CSC could not be made but this would lose the advantages of compactness.

Would it? I ask because the Olympus trip was 35mm and the same size as a GX1. And f you look at the size of the first APS-C cameras compared to the APS-C powered Sony NEX it is clear that the electronics are getting ever more compact. The main issue I think is a line of logic that says 35mm is for pro's therefore we must give it pro qualities that bump up the size. Give me a 35mm CSC that simply takes pictures (something like the 5D1 instead of the 5D3) and I am sure they could get something pretty close to it if they really wanted to.

Steppenwolf
6 Sep 2013 - 5:41 PM

Quote: One of the major space savings made with micro four thirds was achieved by removing the mirror box and pentaprism... the reflex part of the camera.

The major space saving with m4/3 was achieved by using a smaller sensor. And the space saving that this allows is in the size of the lenses - not the camera. The fact that the lenses are smaller is not because they deliver a smaller image - it's because the size of the lens is related mainly to its focal length and the smaller the sensor the shorter the focal length needs to be. Mirrorless camera bodies are smaller than DSLRs because the lens can be closer to the sensor, so the depth of the camera is reduced, but this is not the major space saving.

Steppenwolf
6 Sep 2013 - 5:55 PM

Quote: Any one got ideas to as to what Sony might replace the SLT system with on A Mount next year.

Peter

The beauty of the SLT is that they can turn it into a mirrorless camera simply by removing the pellicle mirror and putting the focus into the sensor - Sony already have several cameras that have PDAF in the sensor. This would save losing 25% light that's diverted to the AF sensor currently. It would also have several other advantages like completely eliminating the FF/BF problems that afflict DSLRs - to name but one. It'll be a mirrorless camera with the IS in the sensor, unlike the E-Mount. I think Sony probably had this planned out years ago.

Last Modified By Steppenwolf at 6 Sep 2013 - 5:57 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.