Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Small and very compact camera - Help

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

last ten
last ten  9416 forum posts Isle Of Man
27 Aug 2012 - 12:28 PM

I need a bit of help here, basically I am looking to buy a very small and compact digital camera that I can easily carry in my shirt pocket without it being to bulky etc.

I would ideally like it to be of a decent spec as well, but compactness is my number one priority, and the camera would ideally be used for just general everyday photography (if there is such a category!).

I know that there are hundreds of compact digital cameras on the market but it is sometimes nice to hear first hand from peeps with their views and experiences of their compact cameras.

Thanks peeps for any pointers.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
27 Aug 2012 - 12:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Newdevonian
27 Aug 2012 - 12:34 PM

You don't state your budget, but the Canon S95 and its successor the S100 are worth a punt. I have the S95, which for its size is brilliant. http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/s100.htm

Last Modified By Newdevonian at 27 Aug 2012 - 12:38 PM
last ten
27 Aug 2012 - 12:41 PM

Thanks Newdevonian

Sorry meant to say that budget is around 200ish

Thanks for your advice.

Peter

Willpower
Willpower  3174 forum posts United Kingdom
27 Aug 2012 - 12:41 PM

I have a Panasonic Lumix TZ8 which fulfils my similar requirements. Small and compact, it's a couple of years old now, but takes superb images. You can have shutter priority, aperture priority and full manual control. Auto if you need it quickly. I would recommend any of the TZ range.

Newdevonian
27 Aug 2012 - 1:08 PM

Well there's a co-incidence! http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-ke...
B. good value for money. PS One good tip, don't buy cheap batteries for it, they only last half as long!

Last Modified By Newdevonian at 27 Aug 2012 - 1:30 PM
sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82256 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom120 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2012 - 1:14 PM

Just bought the S100. In a word - stunning. There are a few differences between this and the S95 - if your budget stretches to the S95 I'd recommend you go for it.

last ten
27 Aug 2012 - 3:06 PM

Quote: Just bought the S100. In a word - stunning. There are a few differences between this and the S95 - if your budget stretches to the S95 I'd recommend you go for it.

Thank you sherlob

last ten
27 Aug 2012 - 3:07 PM

Quote: I have a Panasonic Lumix TZ8 which fulfils my similar requirements. Small and compact, it's a couple of years old now, but takes superb images. You can have shutter priority, aperture priority and full manual control. Auto if you need it quickly. I would recommend any of the TZ range.

Thanks also Willpower

youmightlikethis
youmightlikethis e2 Member 111003 forum postsyoumightlikethis vcard Scotland
27 Aug 2012 - 6:15 PM

canon ixus range

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2012 - 6:26 PM

I had a Canon Ixus 230 HS. It is truly shirt-pocketable. About 160.

last ten
27 Aug 2012 - 7:52 PM

Liking the Canon S100 at the moment, just need to save a little bit more, but it looks a good spec and size Smile

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139385 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
27 Aug 2012 - 8:09 PM

I have the S100 now. You won't be disappointed if that's what you go for. It is a little larger and heavier than the Ixus I mentioned but it does give much more control.

last ten
27 Aug 2012 - 8:13 PM

Cheers Carabosse, it sounds good, not sure if to wait for Christmas or to take the plunge!

Peter

last ten
2 Sep 2012 - 11:34 AM

Has anyone ever used Procamerashop.co.uk ? They have got very reasonably priced Canon S100 in stock but why the very low price?

Is this to good to be true?

Peter

GillR
GillR  771 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Sep 2012 - 1:56 PM

Quote: Has anyone ever used Procamerashop.co.uk ? They have got very reasonably priced Canon S100 in stock but why the very low price?

Is this to good to be true?

Peter

I used them recently to buy a lens and would happily use them again. I did have one minor hiccup: I used Google Checkout, which I hadn't used before - and was a bit perturbed to get an email from PCS customer services saying I hadn't passed the credit fraud checks. A quick phone call to them soon sorted that out. The problem was with Google Checkout, and I suspect it was because I am ex-directory and choose not to be listed in the public Electoral Roll, so no easy way to check out my address. Anyway, they went ahead after the call and the lens was with me (timed, courier delivery) 2 days later.

I think that they sell grey imports, hence the low prices.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.