Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Small and very compact camera - Help

last ten 10 416 Isle of Man
27 Aug 2012 12:28PM
I need a bit of help here, basically I am looking to buy a very small and compact digital camera that I can easily carry in my shirt pocket without it being to bulky etc.

I would ideally like it to be of a decent spec as well, but compactness is my number one priority, and the camera would ideally be used for just general everyday photography (if there is such a category!).

I know that there are hundreds of compact digital cameras on the market but it is sometimes nice to hear first hand from peeps with their views and experiences of their compact cameras.

Thanks peeps for any pointers.

Peter

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Newdevonian 2 452 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2012 12:34PM
You don't state your budget, but the Canon S95 and its successor the S100 are worth a punt. I have the S95, which for its size is brilliant. http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/s100.htm
27 Aug 2012 12:41PM
Thanks Newdevonian

Sorry meant to say that budget is around 200ish

Thanks for your advice.

Peter
Willpower 3 219 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2012 12:41PM
I have a Panasonic Lumix TZ8 which fulfils my similar requirements. Small and compact, it's a couple of years old now, but takes superb images. You can have shutter priority, aperture priority and full manual control. Auto if you need it quickly. I would recommend any of the TZ range.
Newdevonian 2 452 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2012 1:08PM
Well there's a co-incidence! http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=canon+s95&sprefix=Canon
B. good value for money. PS One good tip, don't buy cheap batteries for it, they only last half as long!
sherlob e2
8 2.4k 126 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2012 1:14PM
Just bought the S100. In a word - stunning. There are a few differences between this and the S95 - if your budget stretches to the S95 I'd recommend you go for it.
27 Aug 2012 3:06PM

Quote:Just bought the S100. In a word - stunning. There are a few differences between this and the S95 - if your budget stretches to the S95 I'd recommend you go for it.

Thank you sherlob
27 Aug 2012 3:07PM

Quote:I have a Panasonic Lumix TZ8 which fulfils my similar requirements. Small and compact, it's a couple of years old now, but takes superb images. You can have shutter priority, aperture priority and full manual control. Auto if you need it quickly. I would recommend any of the TZ range.

Thanks also Willpower
27 Aug 2012 6:15PM
canon ixus range
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
27 Aug 2012 6:26PM
I had a Canon Ixus 230 HS. It is truly shirt-pocketable. About 160.
27 Aug 2012 7:52PM
Liking the Canon S100 at the moment, just need to save a little bit more, but it looks a good spec and size Smile
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
27 Aug 2012 8:09PM
I have the S100 now. You won't be disappointed if that's what you go for. It is a little larger and heavier than the Ixus I mentioned but it does give much more control.
27 Aug 2012 8:13PM
Cheers Carabosse, it sounds good, not sure if to wait for Christmas or to take the plunge!

Peter
2 Sep 2012 11:34AM
Has anyone ever used Procamerashop.co.uk ? They have got very reasonably priced Canon S100 in stock but why the very low price?

Is this to good to be true?

Peter
GillR 7 71 United Kingdom
2 Sep 2012 1:56PM

Quote:Has anyone ever used Procamerashop.co.uk ? They have got very reasonably priced Canon S100 in stock but why the very low price?

Is this to good to be true?

Peter

I used them recently to buy a lens and would happily use them again. I did have one minor hiccup: I used Google Checkout, which I hadn't used before - and was a bit perturbed to get an email from PCS customer services saying I hadn't passed the credit fraud checks. A quick phone call to them soon sorted that out. The problem was with Google Checkout, and I suspect it was because I am ex-directory and choose not to be listed in the public Electoral Roll, so no easy way to check out my address. Anyway, they went ahead after the call and the lens was with me (timed, courier delivery) 2 days later.

I think that they sell grey imports, hence the low prices.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.