Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Small and very compact camera - Help

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

B_Real
B_Real  9126 forum posts United Kingdom
4 Sep 2012 - 2:49 PM

+1 for the Canon S series. Wonderful instruments. Just to make you um and ahh for a bit longer, check out the Sony RX100, but you might have to sell a small toe to research first.

Edit: the RX100 may not be as compact as you would like (its a little larger than the S100)

Last Modified By B_Real at 4 Sep 2012 - 2:52 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Sep 2012 - 2:49 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

montechoro
montechoro  112340 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Sep 2012 - 5:17 PM

Amazon have the S95 for 200 delivered - bargain and 100 cheaper than the S100.

My S95 is a superb performer and truly pocketable.

Glostopcat
Glostopcat e2 Member 8231 forum postsGlostopcat vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
4 Sep 2012 - 6:14 PM

I'd highly recommend the Canon Ixus 107, it is very light and compact and is very good for taking landscapes, portraits and macros. It fits into a pocket very easily and takes very good quality pictures. The only downside is that it does not have a wrist strap which is very useful if you are taking photographs near water!

exposure
exposure e2 Member 101307 forum postsexposure vcard England
4 Sep 2012 - 6:39 PM

I love my Canon S95.

last ten
last ten  9416 forum posts Isle Of Man
4 Sep 2012 - 7:38 PM

Thanks guys for all your help, advice and pointers on a very compact camera.

I do like the idea of a Canon S95 but looking at our local Jessops they no longer stock them which sort of begs the question are they now unavailable and maybe a bit outdated (with every respect)?

Peter

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314966 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
4 Sep 2012 - 9:36 PM

I`d hang on and wait for the Benq G1.

http://benq.co.uk/products/digicam/index.cfm/product/1343

Or the new fuji compact

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2012/08/24/new-fuji-cameras-the-x-e1-and-a-retro-c...

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 4 Sep 2012 - 9:38 PM
montechoro
4 Sep 2012 - 10:45 PM

Peter - I'm confused. You asked for first hand experiences of compact cameras with a budget of 200.

The S95 has been superseded by the S100 but the latter is currently 50% more expensive.

The S95 was and is a great camera - of course it will be a "bit outdated" by newer models (depending on the features you value) but as value for money within your budget you'll find it hard to beat.

There are many great little compacts with a myriad of features - only you can decide what you really want but bear in mind, in this price range any compact will be outdated within 12 months of being launched.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139392 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
5 Sep 2012 - 12:26 AM

Quote: The S95 was and is a great camera - of course it will be a "bit outdated" by newer models

Only up to a point. There is a school of thought that the stills image quality is actually slightly better with the earlier model. On the other hand the S95 cannot autofocus or zoom in video, so if video is important, the S100 may be the one to get.

steve_p
steve_p  81094 forum posts England
5 Sep 2012 - 6:20 AM

I bought a TZ 20 three months ago at 165, really impresses with it. It was to replace a Canon Ixus 870 which I dropped and smashed the lens!

montechoro
7 Sep 2012 - 9:46 AM

Quote: The S95 was and is a great camera - of course it will be a "bit outdated" by newer models

Only up to a point. There is a school of thought that the stills image quality is actually slightly better with the earlier model. On the other hand the S95 cannot autofocus or zoom in video, so if video is important, the S100 may be the one to get.

So many variables CB - I agree.

My point for the OP was that a heavily discounted S95 will still provide better image quality and more "professional" versatility in a small, pocketable camera than a full price current model. The S95 RAW images are a joy to work with and for less than 200 at the moment on Amazon - a real bargain.

But each to their own needs and desires.

I read a review from one photo-journalist this week that said the camera in question was merely "OK" but if it was available in red he would buy it in a heartbeat. Of course the body colour helps him to become a much better photographer Grin

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.