Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Small Camera suitable for wildlife?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    canonfan46
    6 Dec 2012 - 5:32 PM

Hi all,
    I have a friend who does a lot of fishing and is interested in getting himself a decent camera as he thinks he gets a lot of good photo opportunities on the river.

He wants something that is not too big and wants it to fit comfortably into his small fishing shoulder bag. His budget would be in the region of 300-350 and maybe a little more.
    I would have thought he needs something with a bit of reach lens wise, but what is available in that price range.

I would like to advise him but I only know the camera I have, so can anyone help with some suggestions?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    6 Dec 2012 - 5:32 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

teocali
    teocali e2 Member 6235 forum poststeocali vcard England18 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Dec 2012 - 6:02 PM

I would recommend the Leica V Lux 3 Now that the Leica V Lux 4 is out the price for the 3 has dropped to around 399 new but I notice that Ann (Pluckyfilly) is selling hers in the EPZ Classifieds at a bargain price. I have one and it is a brilliant little piece of kit.
    Sylvia

pantheonrider

I would recommend a Canon A1200/A1300.See www.pbase.com/taggart51/canona1200 .A gallery of mine.I've been so impressed by this little beauty,I started this gallery.The image quality is superb,for the price.You can pick them up in Sainsbury's for just 39.99GrinGrin

pantheonrider

Sorry got the url wrong,it should read http://www.pbase.com/taggart51/canon_a1200

teocali
    teocali e2 Member 6235 forum poststeocali vcard England18 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Dec 2012 - 6:14 PM

Quote: I would recommend the Leica V Lux 3 Now that the Leica V Lux 4 is out the price for the 3 has dropped to around 399 new but I notice that Ann (Pluckyfilly) is selling hers in the EPZ Classifieds at a bargain price. I have one and it is a brilliant little piece of kit.
    Sylvia

Sorry, just checked Classifieds but Ann seems to have sold hers.

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315347 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Dec 2012 - 7:28 PM

Quote: He wants something that is not too big and wants it to fit comfortably into his small fishing shoulder bag. His budget would be in the region of 300-350 and maybe a little more

A little more and worth every Penny, to big for a pocket, but it does have a great lens with plenty of reach, weather sealing and a decent sensor and close focusing capabilities for even the smallest of fish.

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-fuji-x-s1-exr-black-digital-camera/p1528408

User_Removed
    6 Dec 2012 - 7:43 PM

Now that the EP-L5 is out, you can pick up an EP-L3 within his budget. Couple that with a Panasonic 45-200mm lens (equivalent to 600mm in 35mm terms) and you have the ideal cheap, small, light, handy wildlife combo for the dedicated angler.

Only problem is that, if he/she is anything like me, Sod's Law will dictate that the best wildlife photo-opps occur just as a hatch of mayflies begins!

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315347 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    6 Dec 2012 - 7:51 PM

True anglers are a funny breed, out in all weathers, a lot of modern camera`s will not stand up to much of the abuse Smile

A couple of reviews here.

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/fujifilm_finepix_x_s1_review/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDVddg1ljyw&feature=youtube_gdata

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 6 Dec 2012 - 8:02 PM
    canonfan46
    6 Dec 2012 - 9:34 PM

Thanks all, I have looked at your suggestions and some others I came across.
    The one that caught my interest is the Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ200.
    I have no idea if this camera, or any other, is any good and the point that got me looking at it is the f2.8 max aperture throughout the zoom range of 24mm - 600mm. Am I right in thinking that this is something special, and really desirable?

teepee
    teepee  11659 forum posts England
    7 Dec 2012 - 11:15 AM

try a bridge camera, panasonic fz 200 its got a 24mm to 600mm 2.8 lens

Steppenwolf
    7 Dec 2012 - 11:38 AM

Quote: Couple that with a Panasonic 45-200mm lens (equivalent to 600mm in 35mm terms) and you have the ideal cheap, small, light, handy wildlife combo for the dedicated angler.

Equivalent to 90-400mm in 35mm terms (2X crop factor). The trouble is that 400mm is usually not enough. Bridge cameras are tempting but I've never been that impressed with the IQ at the extreme long focal lengths - maybe I'm picky.

Madhatter58
    7 Dec 2012 - 12:38 PM

I can highly recommend the Nikon P510 bridge camera whach has a fantastic zoom range, small and lightweight. Have one myself and use it for photographing birds.

Paul Morgan
    7 Dec 2012 - 7:23 PM

Quote: Bridge cameras are tempting but I've never been that impressed with the IQ at the extreme long focal lengths - maybe I'm picky

Sensor size is another thing, most are tiny, the fuji x-s1 is about the best in this respect.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.