Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Small Studio

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    ray1
    ray1  10515 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jan 2005 - 2:15 AM

Im looking at setting up a small studio to take pictures of things as opposed to people. Can anyone advise on what kit I will need ie tungsten/daylight- what power - brollies or barn doors etc. I have been looking at some of the kits from jessops site and dont want to spend a fortune. Thanks in a advance.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    15 Jan 2005 - 2:15 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jakabout
    jakabout  101741 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    15 Jan 2005 - 1:48 PM

I can't really advise you on the kit - BUT I thought I'd point you towards a much cheaper supplier of lighting kits [I'm thinking of the Portaflash series, which I bought from them ] - www.srsmicrosystems.com - much much cheaper than Jessops for the same product. Judi

ray1
    16 Jan 2005 - 1:22 AM

Thanks Judi - I am aiming at pictures similar to your slices of limes.

jakabout
    16 Jan 2005 - 2:46 AM

Hi Ray, I have two limes pictures - the backlit one was done using the Portaflash 336VM with a softbox, also Portaflash. FYI I used only the modelling light and suspended the slice of lime in front of it. I then used a silver foil "tunnel" to direct light from camera right and beneath the slice of lime to pick out only the edges of the lime. The lights used there were normal tungsten. This is probably not a good example as I didn't use the flash itself but without it I wouldn't have been able to do it. There are many kits available - for still life setups the Portaflash kit is as good as any as you simply don't need [in my opinion] the high watts/sec units that the pro's use. As I said before I am probably not the best person to advise you on lighting but I have done a lot of work [most not posted on EPZ] with the flash units and I am very happy with it. The strawberries shot was done using my Portaflash kit; as was my "self portrait"; as was the pacifiers shot; as were the vapour and tumblers shots. Hope this helps!

ray1
    16 Jan 2005 - 8:52 AM

Thanks for that Judi - Do you also find your tamron lens the most useful for this kind of shot or are you able to get away with a short zoom.

jakabout
    16 Jan 2005 - 9:33 AM

The Tamron is the sharpest of all my lenses [well I only have 3..] so I tend to use it for most still life work and if I have enough room to work, for portraits. For close-ups the Tamron is definately the best as it is a macro. I do often use my zooms for still life as I can get a wider angle if I need it or zoom in to isolate something. If I want to incorporate more into the frame I have to move further away from the subject and sometimes I run out of space! I only have a small "studio".

ray1
    16 Jan 2005 - 12:33 PM

Thanks Judi - your information is a great help.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.