Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Smart Phones.....has the hair splitting stage been reached?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

50% OFF new PortraitPro 12, plus EXTRA 5% OFF code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    jondf
    jondf  72473 forum posts
    31 Jan 2013 - 11:15 PM

Blackberry releases the 10 smartphone to 'a flurry of lukewarm reviews' trumpets the headline. It just doesn't do anything new or better than the competition, apparently. So where is the mobile phone going one wonders? I just swapped my trusty little Nokia 5800 for a so-called smartphone and remain singularly unimpressed. Yes, the screen is bigger and brighter but battery life is poor by comparison. I think smartphones flatter to deceive. In many ways the 5800 is faster. When you touch a capacitive screen button on the smartphone, it does a fancy page turn flip that equates to wasted time whereas the 5800 switches immediately to the next page without fuss or bother, it's smaller and chunkier than the smartphone, has a louder ring and more visible fonts that can be re-sized. Oh dear, looks like the smartphone's going back in a hurry...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    31 Jan 2013 - 11:15 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1013939 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    31 Jan 2013 - 11:34 PM

How does the 5800 compare for web browsing, videos, email, games,music and books?

If its an Android phone you can pretty much completely reconfigure how it works anyway.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 1 Feb 2013 - 7:12 AM
    paulcookphotography

Quote: How does the 5800 compare for web browsing, videos, email, games,music and books?

Not to mention updating, adaptability, personalising, photography, editing, etc, etc

A phone is a phone at the end of the day, but a smartphone has much more functionality (actually, making/taking calls is one of the least used functions on mine).

GarethRobinson
    1 Feb 2013 - 10:23 AM

Mine is used as a remote control for my home theater setup, sending videos / photos taken on the phone and music via wifi to the theater kit etc. I take it with me instead of a laptop for sorting wifi setups in clients houses etc. To be honest mine replaced my laptop as it does what I used it for, for anything like photo editing i use a desktop pc as nothing else really cuts it for me there.

The next batch of pablets as samsung call then are going to get interesting as I can see them shortly being used like wacom tablets etc so to me there is still alot of advances to come.

Oh it makes phone calls.

Last Modified By GarethRobinson at 1 Feb 2013 - 10:28 AM
    jondf
    jondf  72473 forum posts
    1 Feb 2013 - 10:26 AM

Yep, all fair comment. The smartphone (it's a Windows 7 Nokia Lumia 800) is a marvellous looking thing. Yes, internet browsing is superior, and if there was going to be a reason to keep it, that would be it. But what finally tipped it the other way was not being able to load the software that connects the phone to your computer. A quick search on the net revealed it to be a common problem out there. I ended up on an X-Box website page that gave a shed load of possible fixes that had me running in opposite direction. Windows 7 and Nokia are new to the game meaning they've likely some work to do to get things right.

User_Removed
    1 Feb 2013 - 3:30 PM

Was a bit underwhelmed with my smartphone (and tablet) til I had to use them more - long journey, hotel etc. Discovered things like extra menus from "long press", swiping away notifications etc. Couldn't really go back to a dumb phone now.

digicammad
    digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Feb 2013 - 4:03 PM

My iPhone is an essential tool in running my life. Since I went to a Smartphone (probably about 5 years now) I doubt there have been more than a handful of days on which it has not been used for something extremely useful.

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139368 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Feb 2013 - 4:17 PM

I play Bridge on my smartphone! Smile

digicammad
    digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
    1 Feb 2013 - 4:55 PM

I used to but am now more likely to play Bejeweled. Smile

AlexandraSD
    AlexandraSD e2 Member 2432 forum postsAlexandraSD vcard United Kingdom
    1 Feb 2013 - 4:55 PM

My smartphone kicks butt, i can take the sd card from my camera, remove the micro sd and place it in my phone and upload directly on the fly, or if i have time, tether my netbook to my phone to upload edits on the fly like i did today, sat in a cafe, no need to wait til i get home now.

I dont have many apps but those i have are extremely useful, can easily live without them but they do make life a bit easier.

They do require time to be acquainted with, but their so easy once you get the gist of them, and i cant tell you how great it is to be able to email and text without having to type one word, well, most of the time the voice recognition thing works well anyway.

I am probably easily impressed though, i owned a sony eric k750i until last summer, then bought a crappy nokia 201 (idiot!), the new one is so much more useful.

jondf
    jondf  72473 forum posts
    3 Feb 2013 - 10:01 PM

Ok, I'm listening. Discovered additional extras I didn't know existed like long press for more menus and voice recognition (thanks Chris and Alexandra). Also sorted out the Zune software thingy using MS Fix-it. Still concerned about the low volume ring and text tones though plus the small font sizes. Looking for apps to sort those so we'll see....

AlexandraSD
    AlexandraSD e2 Member 2432 forum postsAlexandraSD vcard United Kingdom
    4 Feb 2013 - 3:37 AM

Just download some decent size mp3 music files and use them, the higher the bit-rate the louder and clearer the ringtones will be, most smart phones allow you to create short custom ringtones from existing music files, so you can pick out the part of the track you want as a ringtone and use those in place of the standard tones. R2-D2 is my text tone, We are Family is the ringtone for my family group, friends get the Muppets Mahna Mahna, and for all others its Amen Brother by The Winstons works a treat Grin

You can download fonts, not sure you can alter font size on the homescreen though, or for any app widgets, in fact i know you cant change the font on widgets, but downloading and using a clearer font may help.

User_Removed
    4 Feb 2013 - 7:34 AM

My friend has the same phone and I can't read it at all without reading glasses, you can change font size for messages (see here) but not for other screens.

To be fair I need reading glasses for a lot of text (instructions on packets, newspaper print). I can just say make out stuff on my Galaxy without the glasses but when I wear them and look at the phone it's a whole new world, I notice loads of detail in icons etc not previously seen.

Maybe try a pair til you get your head round where stuff is and you've learned the icons and colours for certain stuff.

digicammad
    4 Feb 2013 - 7:45 AM

I have Parisienne Walkways for my main ringtone and Vivaldi for when my wife rings, cos she's classy. Smile

jondf
    jondf  72473 forum posts
    4 Feb 2013 - 12:46 PM

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Chris - re font sizes..... I go into message settings but can't see anything about font sizes. However, messaging fonts aren't so much of a problem as the font sizes in Contacts. Telephone numbers are barely readable, even with glasses. I've tried different font and background colours but the only thing that makes it appreciably better is hiking up the brightness but then your battery comes under the cosh and battery life isn't wonderful.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.