Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Smoke bomb recommendations, please?

mwoods 10 20 United Kingdom
18 Jun 2013 8:56PM
I'm planning a shoot involving smoke with coloured flash to set a horror mood - has anyone experience of good smoke solutions, please? I'm thinking of smoke bombs as used by chimney sweeps etc currently, about 5 on ebay for a pack but I'm wondering how effective/noxious they are?!

Any ideas, please? It will be an outdoor location, little/no wind.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

fazzer e2
5 43 6 United Kingdom
18 Jun 2013 10:55PM
Hi Mark , I've been paint balling recently and they sold smoke grenades which let off volumes of smoke....it's an idea ( just google paint ball smoke bombs Smile)
Jeremy
18 Jun 2013 11:03PM
Cheers, Jeremy! These look cheap enough and have a 1 minute burn time. Ta!
Evertonian 1 544 England
19 Jun 2013 9:14AM
In such a shoot (smoke involved) you might be expected to provide a 'Risk Assessment', and also a 'C.O.S.H.H. assessment.' The outdoor location will negate the requirement for a 'Fire Risk Assessment' and should make life easier where C.O.S.H.H. is concerned.

Nevertheless you will need to ascertain if the smoke has any harmful effects when it comes in contact with skin , when it is either ingested or inhaled before you buy it. Caveat Emptor.

Good luck with the event, sounds good.
McBrian 10 101 Scotland
19 Jun 2013 1:03PM
Maplin sell a range of affordable smoke/snow/bubble machines, worth having a look especially if you plan to do a few shoots with effects.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
19 Jun 2013 6:09PM

Quote:In such a shoot (smoke involved) you might be expected to provide a 'Risk Assessment', and also a 'C.O.S.H.H. assessment.' The outdoor location will negate the requirement for a 'Fire Risk Assessment' and should make life easier where C.O.S.H.H. is concerned

Control of substances hazardous to health, that is what C.O.S.H is all about, no need for any such assessment.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
19 Jun 2013 7:03PM
Still maybe best to ask the vendor if anyone has died from smoke bomb inhalation and then at least you can make an informed purchase choice. If you expect the possibility of a model dying, then it's less of a shock when it happens.

Preparation and expectation. Wink
justin c 11 4.6k 36 England
19 Jun 2013 7:19PM

Quote:If you expect the possibility of a model dying, then it's less of a shock when it happens.

LOL Grin
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
19 Jun 2013 7:21PM
Make your own.....

seems like fun!
Evertonian 1 544 England
20 Jun 2013 8:47AM

Quote:In such a shoot (smoke involved) you might be expected to provide a 'Risk Assessment', and also a 'C.O.S.H.H. assessment.' The outdoor location will negate the requirement for a 'Fire Risk Assessment' and should make life easier where C.O.S.H.H. is concerned

Control of substances hazardous to health, that is what C.O.S.H is all about, no need for any such assessment.

Some smokes are hazardous to health and it is necessary to do a COSHH assessment in case the one in use is harmful. Like, what about cigarette smoke? Your answer shows a lack of understanding of H&S issues.
Evertonian 1 544 England
20 Jun 2013 8:48AM

Quote:Still maybe best to ask the vendor if anyone has died from smoke bomb inhalation and then at least you can make an informed purchase choice. If you expect the possibility of a model dying, then it's less of a shock when it happens.

Preparation and expectation. Wink

Not so much death but illness often results from certain smoke bombs which have now been banned but often pop up on eBay and foreign sites.
oldblokeh 3 922 United Kingdom
20 Jun 2013 9:36AM
Evertonian 1 544 England
20 Jun 2013 11:55AM

Quote:I would advise reading this:Smoke and vapour effects used in entertainment

Excellent thanks for that info. It explains by comment far better, being long retired I was unaware of the specific sheet but knew of the contents.
3 Dec 2013 1:30AM
** UPDATE! **

Thanks for the help chaps! With 5 cubic metre smoke bombs I managed this -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodsm_uk/11172320476/

I'd like to make my own smoke bombs in future using potassium nitrate and sugar so my next question is - is anyone buying this at a reasonable price?

Fertiliser seems to be 40 for a 25kg bag (Dec 2013). Can anyone beat this price, please?

Cheers!
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
3 Dec 2013 6:31AM
Unless you're a farmer the One thing it's best not to start asking for on the web is the price of nitrate fertiliser. Wink.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.