Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Smoke bomb recommendations, please?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

mwoods
mwoods  10 United Kingdom
18 Jun 2013 - 8:56 PM

I'm planning a shoot involving smoke with coloured flash to set a horror mood - has anyone experience of good smoke solutions, please? I'm thinking of smoke bombs as used by chimney sweeps etc currently, about 5 on ebay for a pack but I'm wondering how effective/noxious they are?!

Any ideas, please? It will be an outdoor location, little/no wind.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 19 Jun 2013 - 12:37 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
18 Jun 2013 - 8:56 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

fazzer
fazzer e2 Member 532 forum postsfazzer vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
18 Jun 2013 - 10:55 PM

Hi Mark , I've been paint balling recently and they sold smoke grenades which let off volumes of smoke....it's an idea ( just google paint ball smoke bombs Smile)
Jeremy

mwoods
18 Jun 2013 - 11:03 PM

Cheers, Jeremy! These look cheap enough and have a 1 minute burn time. Ta!

Evertonian
19 Jun 2013 - 9:14 AM

In such a shoot (smoke involved) you might be expected to provide a 'Risk Assessment', and also a 'C.O.S.H.H. assessment.' The outdoor location will negate the requirement for a 'Fire Risk Assessment' and should make life easier where C.O.S.H.H. is concerned.

Nevertheless you will need to ascertain if the smoke has any harmful effects when it comes in contact with skin , when it is either ingested or inhaled before you buy it. Caveat Emptor.

Good luck with the event, sounds good.

McBrian
McBrian  9101 forum posts Scotland
19 Jun 2013 - 1:03 PM

Maplin sell a range of affordable smoke/snow/bubble machines, worth having a look especially if you plan to do a few shoots with effects.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314996 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2013 - 6:09 PM

Quote: In such a shoot (smoke involved) you might be expected to provide a 'Risk Assessment', and also a 'C.O.S.H.H. assessment.' The outdoor location will negate the requirement for a 'Fire Risk Assessment' and should make life easier where C.O.S.H.H. is concerned

Control of substances hazardous to health, that is what C.O.S.H is all about, no need for any such assessment.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022822 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2013 - 7:03 PM

Still maybe best to ask the vendor if anyone has died from smoke bomb inhalation and then at least you can make an informed purchase choice. If you expect the possibility of a model dying, then it's less of a shock when it happens.

Preparation and expectation. Wink

justin c
justin c  104512 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2013 - 7:19 PM

Quote: If you expect the possibility of a model dying, then it's less of a shock when it happens.

LOL Grin

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114484 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jun 2013 - 7:21 PM

Make your own.....

seems like fun!

Last Modified By Ade_Osman at 19 Jun 2013 - 7:22 PM
Evertonian
20 Jun 2013 - 8:47 AM

Quote: In such a shoot (smoke involved) you might be expected to provide a 'Risk Assessment', and also a 'C.O.S.H.H. assessment.' The outdoor location will negate the requirement for a 'Fire Risk Assessment' and should make life easier where C.O.S.H.H. is concerned

Control of substances hazardous to health, that is what C.O.S.H is all about, no need for any such assessment.

Some smokes are hazardous to health and it is necessary to do a COSHH assessment in case the one in use is harmful. Like, what about cigarette smoke? Your answer shows a lack of understanding of H&S issues.

Evertonian
20 Jun 2013 - 8:48 AM

Quote: Still maybe best to ask the vendor if anyone has died from smoke bomb inhalation and then at least you can make an informed purchase choice. If you expect the possibility of a model dying, then it's less of a shock when it happens.

Preparation and expectation. Wink

Not so much death but illness often results from certain smoke bombs which have now been banned but often pop up on eBay and foreign sites.

oldblokeh
oldblokeh  3775 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Jun 2013 - 9:36 AM

I would advise reading this:Smoke and vapour effects used in entertainment

Evertonian
20 Jun 2013 - 11:55 AM

Quote: I would advise reading this:Smoke and vapour effects used in entertainment

Excellent thanks for that info. It explains by comment far better, being long retired I was unaware of the specific sheet but knew of the contents.

mwoods
3 Dec 2013 - 1:30 AM

** UPDATE! **

Thanks for the help chaps! With 5 cubic metre smoke bombs I managed this -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodsm_uk/11172320476/

I'd like to make my own smoke bombs in future using potassium nitrate and sugar so my next question is - is anyone buying this at a reasonable price?

Fertiliser seems to be 40 for a 25kg bag (Dec 2013). Can anyone beat this price, please?

Cheers!

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022822 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna29 Constructive Critique Points
3 Dec 2013 - 6:31 AM

Unless you're a farmer the One thing it's best not to start asking for on the web is the price of nitrate fertiliser. Wink.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.