Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Snoots with studio flash - anything I should know?

jimthistle73 e2
10 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
24 Jun 2011 2:05PM
Afternoon all. I use studio flash heads a lot, usually for portraits in clients' homes. I have three or four 'recipes' which work for me, giving consistent results and as a result, I tend not to be very creative or experimental.

Recently though, I bought myself a snoot from ebay - it looks like any other snoot and has a removeable honeycomb grid at the end.

Here's the thing though; I've just been testing it on my Interfit (Bowens 'S' fitting) 300W head, and there's just no light coming out at all - even with the flash at full power. Nothing. Zip. Nada, etc. Tried it all the way down to a 15th and all the way up to a 250th and there's just no output at all.

Here's the snoot on the light, with the honeycomb removed;

snoot3.jpg

And a face on view - you can actually see the flash ring - surely SOME light should be getting out?

snoot4.jpg

Have I bought a pup? Am I doing something very stupid? Perhaps the snoot just isn't compatible with my lights? Any ideas?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jimthistle73 e2
10 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
24 Jun 2011 2:12PM
Hmmm - sorry - problem solved I think. It seems that the slave unit in that particular head is done for. The flash is firing (and even making the customary POP! sound, but only actually giving a tiny output. Just tried the snoot with a different head and it's working fine.

Any advice on using snoots still very much welcomed though!
arhb e2
7 2.5k 68 United Kingdom
24 Jun 2011 6:44PM
I was introduced to snoots as a way to light hair, without getting any spill.
The grid used on the front further limits the spread of light.
There are many other creative ways to use a snoot, but you need to be creative to find out how Smile
FrankThomas e2
11 2.8k United Kingdom
24 Jun 2011 8:02PM
watch out for heat build-up if you have the modelling light on too - can get very hot inside a snoot if you aren't careful
jimthistle73 e2
10 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
25 Jun 2011 4:35PM
Cheers guys - much appreciated. I'll be using gels with the snoots so will certainly bear the heat issue in mind!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.