Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Snoots with studio flash - anything I should know?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    jimthistle73
    24 Jun 2011 - 2:05 PM

Afternoon all. I use studio flash heads a lot, usually for portraits in clients' homes. I have three or four 'recipes' which work for me, giving consistent results and as a result, I tend not to be very creative or experimental.

Recently though, I bought myself a snoot from ebay - it looks like any other snoot and has a removeable honeycomb grid at the end.

Here's the thing though; I've just been testing it on my Interfit (Bowens 'S' fitting) 300W head, and there's just no light coming out at all - even with the flash at full power. Nothing. Zip. Nada, etc. Tried it all the way down to a 15th and all the way up to a 250th and there's just no output at all.

Here's the snoot on the light, with the honeycomb removed;

snoot3.jpg

And a face on view - you can actually see the flash ring - surely SOME light should be getting out?

snoot4.jpg

Have I bought a pup? Am I doing something very stupid? Perhaps the snoot just isn't compatible with my lights? Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Jun 2011 - 2:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jimthistle73
    24 Jun 2011 - 2:12 PM

Hmmm - sorry - problem solved I think. It seems that the slave unit in that particular head is done for. The flash is firing (and even making the customary POP! sound, but only actually giving a tiny output. Just tried the snoot with a different head and it's working fine.

Any advice on using snoots still very much welcomed though!

arhb
    arhb e2 Member 72116 forum postsarhb vcard United Kingdom67 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Jun 2011 - 6:44 PM

I was introduced to snoots as a way to light hair, without getting any spill.
    The grid used on the front further limits the spread of light.
    There are many other creative ways to use a snoot, but you need to be creative to find out how Smile

FrankThomas
    FrankThomas e2 Member 112762 forum postsFrankThomas vcard United Kingdom
    24 Jun 2011 - 8:02 PM

watch out for heat build-up if you have the modelling light on too - can get very hot inside a snoot if you aren't careful

jimthistle73
    25 Jun 2011 - 4:35 PM

Cheers guys - much appreciated. I'll be using gels with the snoots so will certainly bear the heat issue in mind!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.