Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Snow a-coming

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    bzbee
    bzbee  10102 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jan 2013 - 6:16 PM

OK, there is a reliable snow forecast for most of England and Wales on Friday. It has been on weather warnings since Sunday and promises to be a significant fall. So my thoughts go to a day when there is a relatively rare opportunity to plan ahead. But I suddenly feel short of ideas for making the most of the day. Has anyone got any thoughts? I am assuming that motor travel would be unwise for this non-essential purpose, so am thinking what to do. Just thought I would throw this open for ideas for creative shots, good tips for protecting gear, how to dress etc.
    I hope this isn't a lame idea.....
    Will kick off with something shot through a thick foreground of falling flakes - like the Chatsworth deer picture in the paper this week... But maybe of our local high street. Protecting gear - well, poly bags come in handy, secured with elastic bands. Snow is a very wet environment even if its cold... And batteries in warm pockets. Warm layers and waterproof overcoat, especially warm dry boots...
    All rather obvious... So would anyone like to share ideas?
    This is of course assuming a fair number of people will not be able to get to work... Some companies are already making contingencies for this..
    Looking forward to a special day...

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    16 Jan 2013 - 6:16 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Imagecrafter
    16 Jan 2013 - 6:59 PM

It's always great to hear tips. Sometimes they may be thought obvious, but they won't be to everyone! Will be glad to hear everyone's hints for shooting in snowy weather.
    The things I find most useful are a) hand warmers: when your hands go dead they can be quickly revived with these, and in between times they can be placed in a pocket with cold batteries; and b) a shower cap! Not for myself, but it can very quickly be placed over the camera to protect from a heavy snowfall. I have a proper rain protector for the camera, but it's tricky to put on, and the elasticated shower cap is quick and easy to apply and remove (I avoid the flowery kind, though!).

Looking forward to creating some wintry images. Be careful out there!

AlexandraSD
    16 Jan 2013 - 7:25 PM

Don't let the conditions dictate when you shoot, if it's snowing, shoot, if its getting dark, shoot, if its really foggy, shoot.

I almost didnt go out today because the light is so poor, there is a blanket of fog covering an otherwise lovely scene, we have had snow here, and last night the temperature dropped to -6, so we had a good haw frost today which has not thawed yet, but the fog was putting me off until i went out there, and i didnt even have to go far at all, just a few 100 yards from home in nearby apple orchards.

The light was actually perfect, better than perfect, even though the sun was well hidden, no shadows anywhere, was lovely, and the snow reflects light anyway, so the minimal sunlight was not an issue, though i did use a tripod because it was cold.

Theres my tip, go out no matter the weather, and use a tripod, its tough taking photos at 1/150 when your shaking from frostbite Grin

1-a2.jpg

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315398 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jan 2013 - 7:27 PM

Leave your dslr`s at home and get out with a basic film camera, the results will be far more rewarding.

But I get out in blizzards Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 16 Jan 2013 - 7:31 PM
    paulcookphotography

One tip i always give when it comes to snow is 'have a back up plan!'

Forecasts can be great, but they can be very wrong and you end up with no snow (like here, after several threats of snow), or too much snow on the roads to get to where you want to be, or severe blizzards that make photography near impossible. So its always good to have a couple of alternatives just in case things dont go quite as planned. No point in wasting a good day!

Paul Morgan
    Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315398 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jan 2013 - 7:46 PM

Quote: or severe blizzards that make photography near impossible

My favourite weather for photo`s, its certainly not impossible, the extra challenges make it more fun Smile

keithh
    keithh e2 Member 1023049 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jan 2013 - 8:30 PM

Quote: Leave your dslr`s at home and get out with a basic film camera, the results will be far more rewarding.

Or go against current EPZ fashion and remove all the flipping ND grads from your kit bag except one.

Jestertheclown
    16 Jan 2013 - 8:43 PM

Stay indoors and shoot through the window.

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014148 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jan 2013 - 9:00 PM

Quote: remove all the flipping ND grads from your kit bag except one.

Hmm,

I've got "hard ND grads" and "soft ND grads"..looks like I've got to go and buy some "flipping ND grads" now.

More expense, thanks for that Keith.

chris.maddock
    16 Jan 2013 - 9:10 PM

Quote: remove all the flipping ND grads from your kit bag except one.
    Hmm,

I've got "hard ND grads" and "soft ND grads"..looks like I've got to go and buy some "flipping ND grads" now.

More expense, thanks for that Keith.

Can't you just make do with the big stopper or whatever the thing's called?
    TongueTongueTongue

Paul Morgan
    16 Jan 2013 - 9:27 PM

Quote: Or go against current EPZ fashion and remove all the flipping ND grads from your kit bag except one

I`ve never used an ND or ND grad filter let alone owned one Smile

bzbee
    bzbee  10102 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    16 Jan 2013 - 9:46 PM

Thanks guys for all the advice!! Looks as though the mantra is "don't waste the opportunity and get any and every kind of shot by any means"!! Just the kind of challenge I like! Will post if anything good comes out of it.... Enjoy the day, everyone!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.