Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Snowdonia Trip and ideal locations

mikesmith e2
10 45 35 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2006 8:58AM
I am visiting Snowdonia with family and friends on Friday for three nights, we are staying near Llanrug, Caernarfon.

Bearing in mind I shall have the family with me, has anyone got any suggestions for landscape locations perhaps within a 15 mile radius, where I can sneak off to first thing in the morning without dragging them all with me.

I've never been to North Wales and would like to make the most of every opportunity, bearing in mind I might be slightly limited for time.

cheers

mike

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2006 10:12AM
Get yourself an OS map of Snowdonia. Stick a pin in it and go there, simple as that. :0)

A few specific places:

- Beddgelert
- Caernarfon Castle from the quayside, or other side of the water
- Snowdon summit (walk)
- Moel Hebog summit (walk)
- Beddgelert
- Nantlle Ridge (walk)
- Ffestiniog
- Tan y Bwlch
- Llanberis
- Capel Curig
- Did I mention Beddgelert?

Ian
mikesmith e2
10 45 35 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2006 10:28AM
Thanks Ian, I know I'm spoilt for choice and it could be as simple as a pin in an OS map, but thanks muchly for the idea's. I'll look at the maop and start planning NOW.

cheers

Mike
andytvcams e2
12 10.4k United Kingdom
24 Apr 2006 10:33AM
I think what Mike is looking for is some ideal Sunrise shots for this time of the year.

Hopefully someone can supply the Answer..
Chris_H e2
11 1.5k 1
24 Apr 2006 12:25PM
Llyn Gwynant is good at sunrise especially if their is mist around.

Check out Peter Watsons website Peter Watson

Peters work is excellent and you can check out images taken in North Wales only by clicking on the map.

If you dont mind a short trip over to Anglesey check out South Stack lighthouse, if you can get away for a sunset the coast around there is stunning, and the road into Anglesey is also very good as its a Dual most of the way and hardly any traffic so it does not take too long to get to.

Snowdonia is a place where the weather is very odd, it can change very quickly but it can be grey and rainniy a lot of the time, if this is the case there are plenty of waterfalls around to shoot.

Chris
mad-dogs e2
12 2.2k England
24 Apr 2006 12:32PM
I went to school in Llanrug! Spent every games session down by the river trying to poach salmon as I dislike football and cricket :o)

You might find the area around Ogwen Cottage a good place to start as it is not too far from Llanrug, easy to get to and there is a lot to photograph without going too far from your car.

You can drive up to Llanberis quarries via Deiniolen and Dinorwig villages and get images across the valley of Snowdon and Moel Eilio range.

You can see the view from this area via:

Snowdon Webcam

Dolbadarn Castle is on the outskirts of Llanberis. There is also a quarry museum in Llanberis by the lake railway.

The Menai Bridge is not too far away and is quite spectacular.

Some of the landscapes in my folio are from the area.
mikesmith e2
10 45 35 United Kingdom
24 Apr 2006 9:27PM
Thanks Chris and Dave, you've both helped tremendously and hopefully I will have some shots to prove I've taken on board your suggestions

Mike

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.